Mx Help

jrsunt

Is there anyone on here that has any info on the mx scene?

I'm fancying having a crack, before I get too old and too slow, but I don't want to sell my trials stuff to fund a mx bike to find out i'm no good. I think I could be pretty quick, just want to get some idea of what lap times I could push.

Does anyone know of anyone who is in the business, ie running teams or circuits that can lend or hire bikes and kit at a reasonable price. I know Roger Harvey (used to run Hamilton Yamaha) is head of Honda Europe MX but cant find any contact details.

I dont mean to be negative and certainly worth a try......but......hopping on a mx bike to see how fast you are will not make you competitive. You will be slow compared to the guys running up front. Mx takes years and years to be fast/competitive just like any motorsport.

Im 31 and started racing mx when I was 5. Im faster than the average bloke but being out of competitive riding for10 years definately shows and I wouldnt stand a chance today at running up front with the big/younger boyz.

Why not give enduro a try, trials skills should be more aadvantageous.

I must say that I get scared looking at a 500 2t mx bike. Thats a whole different kettle of fish. Nice bike though.

JRSunt would probably lap half the MX riders at a local event if he rode his 4rt !

John why not contact Martin Craven at FatCat ? I think they might hire Enduro bikes and they have a track based on the bike tests held there ?

Edited by baldilocks

John, it's your call but I'll second the idea of giving enduros a bash first. Your (considerable) trials skills will help tremendously in enduros and they're a far nicer bunch of people, not too different from the trials mob. Modern MX is all about wearing the right sunnies and having the right tats.

• Like 1

Enduro looks like hard work, dragging a bike up a hill that you'd sail up on any trials iron doesn't seem fun. MX looks fun, hitting a 100ftt table top would be a buzz!

People say its all about how many $$$$ you have, so it makes me want to race and beat them more!

Chris Walker runs Stalker mx, they hire bikes for

It is a good feeling to show up with a 10 yr old bike, 5 yr old gear, and 15 yr old beer gut with no fanfare or big talking and soundly beat the pants off the arrogant big talker with the new bike and gear and boasting how "fast" they are.

Of course I have never been able to pull this off, so no clue how that feels. :P

• Like 2

Yes, well, good luck with it. Being an old school MX person, I found it too dangerous, too many idjets, and lacking ride time, and at too high cost. Not that I do not enjoy going fast, did I mention broken body parts?

Do it, it's amazing fun. I have just gone the other way from MX and Enduro having broken my arm in a stupid crash that needed surgery to fix in April this year. Need more time to recover so sold the crosser and bought a second hand 2013 Beta EVO 300 to play on whilst I get stronger. Really love the bike and enjoy the light weight and playfulness of the bike. Miss going sideways and hitting berms though...

I was a decent hand at trials having made expert, done a few nationals and finished the Scott when I got my first mx at the age of 26. The mx bike felt like a right handful at first but I soon got the hang of it and occasionally got centre championship points and even the odd local club win. What you need is a few mates to practice with (I had Mayson Wear and some other good riders). Riders who just go to meetings without practice in between tend to progress very slowly. Don't get on a crosser unless you are prepared to break bones. I suggest you go to a meeting at Great Salkeld (near Nord View) and ask around the paddock. You may find someone prepared to hire you a bike and gear. Quite a few have spare gear and even a second bike they are hoping to sell.

Cheers

PS when I first saw the photo of the Yam I thought common sense had prevailed and Yam were launching a new 500 2 stroke!!

Edited by dadof2