Why Is My Titanium Pipe Blue? (Picture)

shercoben12

Wow that's a bike :0 I asked my friend and he said some people heat them with a blow torch to clean them out of oil and carbon deposits. ... This makes them go blue or it's been ridden hard on the road! Im not worrried about it just wondered why ti goes like that ! I love the look of it better than standerd

• Like 1

It's not only titanium pipes that go blue, the steel chromed pipes on my BMW Boxer motorcycle also turned blue because of the heat.

Japanese (custom) bikes in the 80's had double wall pipes to hide this effect, and now it's in fashion, O well, sign-o-the-times I guess :)

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

Dude, and Dudes? if the bike is like mine, it shouldnt be BLUE! My pipes weren't blue when new, but if yours started life like mine, and then it blues, It is an indication that you have let it get Way lean or way HOT.

But if the weld was blue when they got done making it, I guess you could be OK? Wierd from my experience (posted at bottom) my pipe on older bike turned blue, but from bolts to around that first curve. yours is MID curve, so I cant swear I am right. Big thing is, did it change?

I just dont believe a smart exhaust company would make the pipe and leave blue on it, since it is a sign of a problem, seeing it change to blue, can save you.

I bought a bike setup to ride above 8000ft. In my state, about 1100ft, the pipe turned blue on the "chromed" headpipe of an older 01 txt engined bike, with only a few minutes of RIDE time. Ihad no Idea it would blue that quickly, maybe he had it lean for his altitude, but down at mine, it blued quick.

Thank gawd Truckers have chrome stacks on Semi-tractors over here and sell a creme that will "rub" the blue off the pipe easily. Normal polish wouldn't but this stuff worked with a a few strokes and shinie like new. if you need some, Ill get a picture of the bottle if I can find it. (think it was actually called BLUE AWAY)

Yes, street and performance race bikes will blue the pipes, they run HIGH RPMS and a lot of heat. I know drag boat racers pump water in headers to keep this (and eventually melting the headers off) from happening...

Trials bikes don't, usually cause that much heat. BTW in Kansas we've ridden in 105F and still not blue pipes of tuned bike. but they can get hot on long "loops" between sections, but like I said, my headpipes never turned blue, even at high elevation pulling long steep hills. Back brake rotors, on the other-hand, coming down the mountains/ski slopes we rode a trials at, turned blue... lol

Might at least do some "spark plug" diagnosis, and check and write down what 2 jets you have, maybe others that ride near and with you can at least confirm you have "similar" jets in same sized gasgas? if everone else has a 42, you have a 32, you could BET or figure, that is a problem.

Edited by sting32
  • Like 1

It's got nothing to do with to lean jetting, I just did a 4-day trial with lots of road between the sections and the titanium pipe on my 4rt, that was already a bit blue, got a lot more color to it.

This was only because I rode longer and faster than normal, so the engine got a bit hotter.

They use titanium because they can make the walls of the pipes thinner to save weight.

Thinner pipes overheat easyer and as a result get blue when you ride your bike a bit hard, that's all.

Or do you think the "jetting" on my fuel-injection suddenly got leaner!? I don't think so.

I know you only try to be on the safe side, but when the only thing you have changed on your bike is the front exhaust pipe, there is no reason to panic.

This is a brand new titanium pipe (the blue is from heating the pipe to bend it):

a.jpg

Here's a other one:

a.jpg

Edited by guys

I've just checked and it is running abit lean (whiteish) colour of the plug. So done a half turn on the mixture screw out(richer ) I've just found out that some people down here heat the pipe up with a blow torch to clean the oil out and this makes them blue . Or it's been thrashed on the road...

I did a little experiment. Started the bike up and road around for a minute untill the fan kicked in. The bike was not hot at all really just normal. The pipe was a slight purple/ blue but still looked pretty original tbh.

Then I ragged it down the fields in 6th and it got really hot and dark ble like in the pic. (when I took the pic it was hot)

After the bike cooled a little it lightend up abit and was less blue...

Guys, if you are blueing pipes the pipe is getting way too hot exhaust gasses, ESPECIALLY from below "pro-ish" when only for "trials usage." Fourstrokes I was kind of led to believe is the same, but maybe not always.

IMHO, if you are blueing because you are treating your 2 stroke as if it was an F1 racer down the loops and trails, that has no bearing on "normal Trials Usage" imho, so it is hard to say anymore than it looks to me as lean as hell?

Sure, Some of the best riders in the world might run an engine really lean and end up with blue pipes, but they get free "engines" as easily as fenders from the sponsor, so if you have the kind of money, you can do the same, IMHO I guess.

To the OP... I should have brought pictures, but my 2010-2012 the welds have a blueish tint (they look like stripes) but the material between welds, are golden. yours looked to have gotten hot to me, and all the non welded materials turned blue, which is not good if it didn't get installed new that color. dad's 2013 we just un-crated has no blue at all when I looked although I didn't look that close (forgot about this thread)... makes you go hmm...

Edited by sting32

On a hot summer day, on a mountain road, with plenty of throttle, even a trial bike will get hot.

You don't need to be a pro trials rider to load an engine.

And as I mentioned before, my 1988 BMW touring motorcycle with only 50 horse power, by no means a sport bike, had blue pipes as most BMW boxers, when you rode it a bit faster on the highway.

By the way, the spark plugs on both bikes always have a normal color, no indication of a lean burning engine whatsoever.

• Like 1

`On a hot summer day, on a mountain road, with plenty of throttle, even a trial bike will get hot.` Quote from guys.

Yeah I just melted the inside of a Raga middle pipe two weeks ago on a steep mountain road. I was blowing out hot aluminum chunks.