Manx 2 Day

matt

has anyone done any reasearch for the best prices for ferries to get to IOM for the trial yet. who offers best deals, wot cheapest times etc.

how much does it cost for 2 people and a bike???

any help appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the Steam Packet have a cheap deal for competitors of the 2 day trial? I suspect this may be the case.

Although being the Steam Packet Company Cheap is not realy the correct term - lower priced would be more accurate!

as its GP week over there at the same time.

Trying to get a Hotel, particularly in Douglas is virtually impossible at MGP time, guys are booking a year in advance for the road races.

When you are over try to make time to watch at least part of one of the Manx GP races - best circuit there is for watching & the speeds of even the slowest of the MGP competitors will surprise you.

The Isle of Man is well worth a visit in MGP week or TT week. The Two day trial is the weekend before the MGP & the Classic or P65 two day trial is the weekend after MGP week.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone still having trouble with accomodation for the Manx GP, contact the Isle of Man Tourist board. They always have names of hotels, <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central>'s and homestays who still have vacancies.

The ferry is not cheap, they have a monopoly. Use the Steam packet or..... don't go! Some choice.

Getting an outward booking on the Friday will be tough, (imposible?) most of the racing fans go out that day, however the return trip on the Monday should be a little easier as it's only trials riders going home.

I've raced the MGP (and TT) and for me it's an amazing circuit, the speeds are mind blowing, Kirk Michael village at 150mph in a 30 zone! Take something like a Yamaha R1 and gear up a tooth on the front sprocket and still hit the red line at Sulby!

I've also observed at the Two days a number of times but never plucked up the courage to ride. Even the easy (er) route looks a bit tough to me.

Good luck to everyone who's got an entry.

Don't know if he is booked up yet but YG's Website has numbers for a members <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> in the IoM.

www.yeadon-guiseleytrials.co.uk

Edited by Telecat

A rider may enter the Manx Grand Prix as soon as they have a National Licence. The maximum age is 45, from then one you can only enter the Classic races.

To enter the TT you either need a full International Licence or have ridden in the Manx.

Once you have ridden in the TT races, you may not return to the Manx unless it is on a classic.

There is no start or prize money at the Manx, unlike at the TT.

Although the Manx is an amateur event, winning speeds are now very close to those seen at the TT.

Not so many years ago a 110mph lap on a 600 gave you a top 10 finish. Now you need to do nearer 120. And that's an average speed for the 37.73 mile lap.

It's hard to imagine how fast they are going. It looks fast on the telly, and even faster stood next to the course, but you only realise how fast it really is when you ride round the circuit.

I was lucky enough to be sent out to the IOM for 4 months working and took my 600 with me. When you ride round the course a lot of it is a 30 limit so you're never going to even get the feel, but when you open it up on bits that have no speed limit, and realise that your 120mph is just the 'average' speed for some of the riders.

Taking in to account some of the corners at 30mph and less, they've got a hell of a lot of catching up to do to knock that average back up.

Some of the circuit is terrifying. Everything's just too close, houses, fences, walls, the mountain should be a breath of fresh air, except that they have to be absolutely pinned.

I managed to clip 150mph across the top of the mountain (straight wide open bit) and even that's not an altogether nice feeling. Maybe I'm getting old, but all I could think of was puncture, chain, seize, sheep (you'll sympathise with that one Perce), anything but pleasure.

These blokes are absolute nutters, no question about it.

im at uni with two people from the IOM, i really mus tvisit them at GP or TT time - its just im always busy!

the tales they tell !!! - if onyl the rest of the UK was so bike friendly

rabie :wacko:

Seriously good place for bikes. A few years ago, we were over for the TT, my friend overtook a Police car on the run down from Creg to Brandish.

The police car was a Sierra Cosworth and it was doing 140.

I stuck behind waiting for the pull. Nothing! There's no speed limit on that stretch of the course.

Couple of years later, another friend of mine overtook a bit further down on the same piece of road where there are double white lines. A police car spotted this, he had a big fine and his bike impounded until 1 hour before his return ferry crossing. Ooops!

It pays to remember in the Isle of Man that some things are enforced very strongly. Speed limits in the towns are one of them.

Still my favourite place though.