Proper Cleaning - Steam Cleaner?

sawtooth

Is it safe to steam clean a trials bike once in a while? I currently use Muc-Off and a pressure washer, results are pretty good but could be better in hard to reach or stained areas. You see some really really shiny bikes around, so either they use a steam cleaner, they never get ridden properly or they spend 6 days a week cleaning it with a toothbrush? Obviously would have to be careful with steam around the stickers but will seals etc be OK?

I pressure wash mine very quickly to get the loose crap off it.

Then I use truck wash or TFR or any other cleaning chemical I can nick from work for free and brush it on with a 2 inch toothbrush....

Then blast it off with a pressure washer.

Buy a cheap pressure washer for washing your bike I would never use a steam cleaner as they are too powerful ive used a pressure washer on all my bikes for the last 30 years and not had any problems as long as your sensible with it i cant see how you would properly clean an off road bike without one

Only use a pressure washer (and then on a low setting) to get heavy mud off, never direct it a bearings, seals, brake calipers, carbs or electrics. To be honest I would advise against the use of a pressure washer full stop - I've seen them do lots of damage. NEVER wash the bike hot and don't use steam. I have seen bikes (motocrosrs mainly) with every bearing wrecked and the radiator fins bent by careless pressure wasking.

Best way is just a hose and soft brush and something like muck off, jizer, janitol or gunk. Then rinse it off and spray all the pivots / bearings etc with WD 40 or duck oil, give whole bike except brakes and bits rider touches a very light mist of wd40 or duck oil. This stops the dirt sticking and it will rinse off much easier next time.

Edited by dadof2
  • Like 1

Only use a pressure washer (and then on a low setting) to get heavy mud off, never direct it a bearings, seals, brake calipers, carbs or electrics. To be honest I would advise against the use of a pressure washer full stop - I've seen them do lots of damage. NEVER wash the bike hot and don't use steam.

Best way is just a hose and soft brush and something like muck off, jizer, janitol or gunk. Then rinse it off and spray all the pivots / bearings etc with WD 40 or duck oil, give whole bike except brakes and bits rider touches a very light mist of wd40 or duck oil. This stops the dirt sticking and it will rinse off much easier next time.

I wouldn't spray wd40 near bearings as its a degreaser.