Have Trials Bikes Got Too Light?

mike_b

Just wondering what other people think really. After pretty much 10 years off trials I'm back on a 2008 Gas Gas Raga (used to have a 1996 Techno). Great bike, love it, but riding it and watching others ride got me thinking whether they are too light for UK winter trials?

As soon as you get your feet off the pegs they spin up and go nowhere due to having about 10KGs of downforce on the rear wheel! It seems that perhaps they've become so honed for indoor / spanish sunshine use that they're not engineered for mud anymore.

Of course the solution is to keep feet up, but hmmmmmn, challenging! What do people think? Should I just invest in a Tiger Cub?! Or borrow my old man's TLR200 in the winter months?!

I must be in winter mode then!!!

Always tickles me when someone sits there spinning the rear wheel without applying weight to either a footrest or wedging your derrier onto the seat. As said above the rider is still the main source of weight.

I must be in winter mode then!!!

Always tickles me when someone sits there spinning the rear wheel without applying weight to either a footrest or wedging your derrier onto the seat. As said above the rider is still the main source of weight.

Not sure that is always the case.... Even on my "diet" of top quality home cooked food and too much wine,I think my rigid AJS has the upper hand. :P

• Like 1

Not so much the weight of modern bikes, but their design that makes feet-down grip difficult to find. T'old twinshocks had a seat height which meant you could plant your bum on the bike to increase grip and paddle through for a three. Sitting on a modern bike doesn't increase grip in that way or allow the same leverage to push forward,

I think modern engines are not so good as the old pre reed valve motors for plodding in mud and finding grip. I reckon about 14 to 18 hp is all you need but I would guess all modern 250s and above comfortably exceed that with the intention of firing expert riders up steep grippy slopes and obstacles.

Ferrari's and Porshe's have gotten too small, I can't fit a sheet of plywood in my Testarossa :)

Maybe the measurement of the bike shouldn't be how well it performs when you are not on it

Couple guys I know sit when they have to paddle, pretty interesting to watch the riding style of Jarvis and Walker etc in the exteme enduros, always hard on the seat when they push with a foot and I can't believe the traction they get