Will The Did Vt2 X-Ring Chain Fit On The Ossa 280I 2011, Without Mods?

scorpatic

As The topic says, I want too fit a long life chain to the Ossa, as I am in sand, mud and dust a lot.

I am told the chain is wider by a little but uncertain as to how much and whether it will round the drive sprocket.

I know I have to increase the size of the chain tensioner cage.

Any clues?

I don't know if it will fit.but personaly I prefer to use non o ring did standard chain,and pressure wash it and light oil after use.i find chain will last long time.if you use o ring chain you can damage o rings with pressure washer and don't last much longer.

• Like 1

An o-ring chain has may applications. One of them is not on a trials bike. They are heavy and power robbing. How many miles do you think you ride every time out? Our bikes usually have low miles , high hours. I usually go through two standard chains per a set of sprockets, which is still cheaper than one o-ring chain. (I know that you learned that was not proper, but our sport is quite different.)

O ring chains were being used in the ssdt in the late 80's early 90's. I used them myself and after ssdt used it the rest of the year. It would need adjusting once or twice in all that time. You cant fit them to a gas gas pro or a beta as the chain is too wide, ossa maybe the same.

Down sides are you do lose power 5 - 10% and if the chain breaks you need a tool to re fit chain link as its a press fit. Non o ring chains have improved to the extent renthal or regina chain will last the ssdt. Bear in mind also that oring chains are harder on the sprockets.

Id buy a renthal R1 chain in your shoes.

Yeah as the other members have said I would give an o-ring chain a miss,due to size restictions and power loss,I have had a great run with an ( RK-GB520MXZ4/Gold ) (non 0-ring) chain,had it on a 2001-321 Gasser for a few years,On my 2012 Ossa I have been running a (DID-ERT2/Gold ) for the past 12months,it has barely stretched,both of these are lightweight motocross chains all rated over 8000lb tensile strength.

But in saying all this I remove the chain after every ride,wash in fuel,let dry and then soak it in a tub of oil for an hour or two,then hang to drain excess and refit to bike prior to next ride,yes its a task but I am still on the original sprockets (that came on the Ossa) and the DID chain that I fitted to the bike just after buying it.

From what I have seen over the past years all the "trials chains" by ( Regina,Iris & CZ ) are just junk,they just stretch week after week,its never ending till they wont fit the sprockets.

Isn't the renthal actually made by regina anyway?

I used to use an o-ring on my jt35 in the 90s but since I've had shercos I find the better regina lasts well, a lot of guys use did mx chain but the 1 they really liked isn't available anymore

I can understand wanting an o ring chain for trail riding with a trials bike. Lots of sustained riding through harsh conditions wears down a chain really fast. DID X ring chains have 50% less friction than other O ring chains, so that might be something to consider for a trials bike. The stock chain width is about 0.700" The DID narrow 520VX2 is 0.736" I haven't tried it, but it might work, but will probably excessively rub the front sprocket "chain protection plate" and wear it prematurely. I can see anything on the motor side that would wear.

• 1 month later...

I fit the DID narrow to my Explorer.

The original chain was junk- I ride in the mud a lot and often 40-50 miles of tight single track on a ride.

Maybe loose a little power, but it has so much less than my 300 KTM that I didn't notice it.

If you use a rivet link I think it would fit right in.

The clip link is wider than the rest of the chain by a fair amount.

I didn't have a rivet link, so I opened up the chain tensioner block a little- works great!

I wish it had an enclosed chain...but nobody does that anymore.