Plenty Of Choice, But......

elliotsdaddy

.....which ones best?

Hello all.

I'm on the hunt for a trial bike and I've come across a couple of gems I'd like your opinions on if possible.

Now I know there are countless "which bike is best" threads, but as this is specific I thought it might warrant a post.

First up is a Scorpa SY250, 2007 model that is road registered.

Pretty good condition except for a few scratches to the plastics.

Recent service and has carbon covers and renthal fat bars.

This one is about 90min from me and is up for

Id def go with a 07 Scorpa over the Sherco, especially given the Yam engine.

But if your going to spend that much Id prob stick another coupe of hundred in and get a 09 Beta Evo or something...I know a decent Evo for sale..PM for details if you need.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

So it looks like the Scorpa is the better buy then?

Id def go with a 07 Scorpa over the Sherco, especially given the Yam engine.

But if your going to spend that much Id prob stick another coupe of hundred in and get a 09 Beta Evo or something...I know a decent Evo for sale..PM for details if you need.

Well the Beta does sound tempting but the Scorpa is already a bit beyond what I wanted to pay idealy. The fact that it is already registered makes me happier to go a little further, and to be honest, an '09 Beta is definately going to be wasted on me.

I think I will be spending most of my time face first in mother natures delights, if you can pardon the image. :)

the Yamaha engine is good reliable engine.when you say get a cbt unless you past your test you can only ride a 125cc bike.costs about £500 to do test now a days.

a 125cc bike will do any thing.so perhaps a better buy.

Thanks for the info fella.

I was under the impression that the CBT's restriction is on horsepower not cc's.

Seems a 250/290 trial bike is below 33hp I thought that with a cheeky 'L' plate that would be a quick an easy way to get into the woods.

I'll have to check that out.

Its restricted to 125cc and about 12hp for a cbt and only lasts 2 years.

Only with a full licence can you look at 33hp which your restricted to for two years at 25 or below years old. Not sure as for now what the rules are for older than 25.

Dan

I would say the scorpa was the better bike but is over priced IMO. I bought on 07 scorpa three years ago for £1700, I sure as hell wouldn't pay that for one now.

Oooo thanks for that, you might have just saved me a few pennies there. Much appreciated.

Its restricted to 125cc and about 12hp for a cbt and only lasts 2 years.

Only with a full licence can you look at 33hp which your restricted to for two years at 25 or below years old. Not sure as for now what the rules are for older than 25.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Thought it was a bit too good of a simple idea.

I only live a couple of minutes from woodland so it was just me trying to be legal and above board.....maybe I should look back to my 20's and just 'walk' it to the woods. :)

The new license system is a right complicated pile of boll---s. I would not let it influence your choice of bike as the training / test centers usually include a bike. Ring up the training / test center and get their advice on the best way to get an appropriate license.

I only live a couple of minutes from woodland so it was just me trying to be legal and above board.....maybe I should look back to my 20's and just 'walk' it to the woods. :)

No different from actually riding it in terms of the law. You need to be fully legal to be in charge of it, which includes pushing it.

The new license system is a right complicated pile of boll---s. I would not let it influence your choice of bike as the training / test centers usually include a bike. Ring up the training / test center and get their advice on the best way to get an appropriate license.

Hmmm yes it certainly seems to be.

I'll give them a bell and see whats what. Thanks for that.

No different from actually riding it in terms of the law. You need to be fully legal to be in charge of it, which includes pushing it.

Well well well I didn't know that.

I know a few people that won't be too pleased to learn that. Always better to be knowledgeable and safe than stupid and in court. :)

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Yes, penalties for walking or pushing a motor vehicle on the road without the required tax, insurance, licence etc can be pretty severe. As can those for trespass on private land unless correct permission is obtained to ride there. Presumably your mates are in the clear on that front?

Yes, penalties for walking or pushing a motor vehicle on the road without the required tax, insurance, licence etc can be pretty severe. As can those for trespass on private land unless correct permission is obtained to ride there. Presumably your mates are in the clear on that front?

Who knows, but they are adults so I'm sure it's all above board.

Chris.

Yeah, sure.

Mind you, being adult doesn't seem to put off locals round my way from taking to local rough land every Sunday despite copious signs advising them of the illegality of doing so.

Tread warily, keep to the law. Our sport depends on it.

Indeed it does.

When there are tracks dotted about the country it's hard to justify riding illegally.

Now......back to the topic.......

The Sherco 290 has been sold so the Scorpa is still up for grabs, but, I have been made aware of two more bikes that are at present just 5 minutes from where I sit. I'm at work in Gloucester at the moment and I can almost smell the 2 stroke from here. :)

There is another 2004 Sherco 290 that has been treated to a recent engine rebuild. No more info as yet on that one....it's up for £995. Tempting price I must say.

The second is a GasGas TXT, cant remember if it said 250 or 280. Again, no more info yet but that is up for £1000.

I need to make a few calls about them with the intention of popping by to have a nose......but would I right to assume that the GasGas would be the better option?

They seem to be popular so that must be for a good reason....but the Sherco is blue....mmmmmm.....I like Blue.