Trials Heroes

johnnyboxer

Last night I read a fab career history in a magazine, about Nigel Birkett which was a really good article

So it set me thinking about all my heroes of yesteryear, when I was a kid and in those days it was Rathmell/Lampkin/Andrews/Birkett et al

Also there's been some fab interviews on RetroTrials

So who's your hero?

Edited by johnnyboxer

Not so much hero's but riders around in the 80's & 90's,

What happen to, Tony Scarlett, Peter Cartwright et al.

Are they still competing.....

I remember owning an ex Russ Kerridge, Holden Ossa, what happened to Russ.

Do old trials riders have their final five, or do they go clean away.

As a lad of 12/13 years old for me my heros were Mick Andrews but also Rob Shepard when he was on the honda. One strong memory was watching and listening to him ride a big hill climb in the Sheffield & Hallamshire peak national with a good covering of snow.

Steve.

Tony Scarlett returned to trials a few years ago around here, and he still rides VERY well.

Edited by bisby

Not so much hero's but riders around in the 80's & 90's,

What happen to, Tony Scarlett, Peter Cartwright et al.

Are they still competing.....

I remember owning an ex Russ Kerridge, Holden Ossa, what happened to Russ.

Do old trials riders have their final five, or do they go clean away.

Just seen the the Colmore results last weekend and Tony Scarlett got a Top 20 place, so still riding VERY well

Back to 1986

Edited by johnnyboxer

Last night I read a fab career history in a magazine, about Nigel Birkett which was a really good article

So it set me thinking about all my heroes of yesteryear, when I was a kid and in those days it was Rathmell/Lampkin/Andrews/Birkett et al

Also there's been some fab interviews on RetroTrials

So who's your hero?

I think Andy and I would agree......Lane Levitt of course

My favourite rider and the guy I most wanted to ride like was John Lampkin. Loved his finesse and slow controlled style. Remember watching him in his first SSDT with his uncle Mart. Shame his riding career was cut short by injury.

• Like 1

Having known Birks for the last 30 years or so I can say he is one of the most genuine and knowledgeable trials enthusiast I have had the pleasure to know.

In my experience of visiting a good few world rounds over the years all the other "superstars" are very decent human beings I can think of Mart, Malcolm, Dougie, Grimbo, Eddy, the Steve's (Saunders and Colley) to name but a very few.

I think we are lucky to participate in a sport without the mega ego's that exist elsewhere.

• Like 4

Having known Birks for the last 30 years or so I can say he is one of the most genuine and knowledgeable trials enthusiast I have had the pleasure to know.

In my experience of visiting a good few world rounds over the years all the other "superstars" are very decent human beings I can think of Mart, Malcolm, Dougie, Grimbo, Eddy, the Steve's (Saunders and Colley) to name but a very few.

I think we are lucky to participate in a sport without the mega ego's that exist elsewhere.

I agree, I went a few BTC's in the last couple of years and couldn't believe how relaxed, friendly and down right convivial the paddock was

All the older riders are now still there, in their capacity as importers/sponsors/parents or just helpers............because they love it

Trials simply is brilliant, for its 'down to earth' approach to the sport

Edited by johnnyboxer