2014 Marks The Centenary Scott Trial

laird387

Hi,

Malcolm Rathmell in action in the Scott trial. Bultaco enthusiasts will probably be able to tell us the year of this Malcolm Carling study?

For me I think it could be 1971.

Enjoy.

Hello Deryk . i think the year is 1973. The year the Helmet law came in and the ban on Fibreglass tanks.Those works bultacos looked fantastic with more holes than a colander! :)

(Could well be, rod, maybe somebody with a programme could verify, Thanks Deryk)

Attached Images
  • 63p28(007).jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another image which I can't give you a definite year yet, but I think it likely will prove to be 1956, shows Bob Manns waiting at the Start of the Scott.

His works bike has alloy fork sliders and alloy clutch cover, but I have just noticed the kink in the advance/retard lever. Knowing just how rubbish the alloy used for those levers is, that represents a major work of engineering art for me!

Enjoy.

Attached Images
  • 63p47(053).jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Gordon Jackson really going for it in the 1957 Scott trial on a scrambler-engined special, which, other than the usual ‘works’ alloy bits might look fairly standard. But look at the rear suspension alloy cover. Jackson was trying, in public, the prototype all-welded lightened frame and also the new AMC gearbox which was to replace the Burman B52 unit in the next production year.

Enjoy.

Attached Images
  • 63p49(048).jpg
  • Like 1

Hi,

Bill Nicholson on his works 500 BSA in the Scott trial. The photo reverse caption suggests in 1950, but the riding number does not match – who can verify which year Bill rode ‘93’ and who is rider ‘23’ on the DOT?

Bill said that the Hurst Cup and the Scott were his favourite trials, both calling for speed matched by stamina and ultimate feet-up expertise. In his first Scott (in 1946) Bill finished no less than twenty minutes ahead of the next man Bob Ray (Ariel) and he set fastest time in each of his five victory years. It could have been six in a row, but an eye injury made him retire. Eventually it was John Draper (Norton) who ended Bill’s run of successes in 1952, beating him into second place four marks adrift.

Enjoy.

Attached Images
  • 68p8(91) .jpg
  • Like 1

Hi,

Jack Knoops took this interesting photograph at the 2014 Telford Show, with most of the Richmond MC team that suuported the club stand through the show, L to R, Andrew Brown, Ken Wallis, Richatd Hague, Rhoda Fraser, Chris Wallis and John Fraser.

Also on the stand was an 'announcement' cheque representing the £137,600 pounds raised for the Scott-supported charities between 1991 and 2013 - a truly remarkable achievement from all concerned.

Enjoy.

Attached Images
  • Andrew Brown.Ken Wallis.Richard Hague.Rhoda Fraser, Chris Wallis.John Fraser.Telford Show.jpg.jpg

Hi,

Ray Sayer with the unit twin he built initially for the 1969 Scott trial, seen here on Roan Splash.

I always felt that Ray Sayer was happier with his twin Triumph than on any of the various other bikes that he rode - he could certainly find grip in places that defeated most - I remember him turning up for one of his first rides on the bike at one of our club trials and watching him just 'playing' through one muddy morass that we had determined was just too bad to include as an actual section!

Enjoy.

Attached Images
  • 72p12(7286).jpg
  • Like 2

Hi,

I'm busy trawling through all my archives and also wondering about bringing the book that I 'ghosted' with Harry Bradley about the Scott Trial up to date for the Centenary.
In the process I am working with my old colleague, Barry Robinson, now 84 years young, in sorting some photographs out.
Some years ago he lent a loose-leaf book full of his negatives, all sorted and complete with entry lists and results, to another publisher.
They were returned, some years later, no longer in their sleeves, no longer in any order and without any entry lists or results. Total nightmare - around two thousand images with no identity or location details...........
Together we are beginning to make inroads - but the Scott Centenary deadline gets ever closer - so we need some help.
Can you remember which year they used red numbers and 'Hamilton' bibs, as in the attached image?
It would help significantly - so thanks in advance..

(An excellent piece of detective work from 'perce' - many thanks - gives us 1999 with the rider 156 as Robert Crawford, Thanks again, Deryk)

post-19290-0-68373500-1395053912_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387