2014 Marks The Centenary Scott Trial

laird387

Hi,

We need some help again, this is Mr Tarrant riding that rocky jumble known as Blackhill in the 1983 Scott, photographed by Barry Robinson. Our puzzle is, is his first name Gareth?

Enjoy.

(2stroke4stroke says Willie Dalling - could be, Deryk. - how about it Willie?)

post-19290-0-34025800-1403621982_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

With the Centenary of the Scott Trial approaching fast we are busy scanning all our old negatives of the event over the past thirty or so years in order to tell the fullest story possible as we serialise the history in ORRe.

One example is shown here, Stephen Robson in the 1982 event on his Fantic, spotted by Barry Robinson.

One thing is for sure, if you have ridden in the Scott - or even been a regular spectator - there's a fair chance your picture will be in the magazine!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-90500300-1403778573_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I need help again, we know this Barry Robinson image was taken at the 1999 Scott trial - but who 'had the honour' that year?

Enjoy.

( 79 is Ernie Page says 2stroke4stroke, and Perce says the image is from 1993, not 1999 - thanks, Deryk)

post-19290-0-55025700-1404387243_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Early on a November morning high on the Swaledale moors, Barry Robinson spotted this lonely figure on a motorcycle drifting in and out of the mist.

The poor lad is obviously lost because we can recognise him as an inmate of the Derbyshire institution, an early fore-runner being Florence Nightingale.........

'Tis young Mick Andrews in the 1989 Scott.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-50671200-1405406304_thumb.jpg

Hi,

On a certain Sunday morning in November each year large groups of masochists used to gather in the village of Hurst in Swaledale and, close by the Green Dragon pub, join the throng alongside the river to watch the annual "Grief" where normally active young men get astride motorcycles to demonstrate the many different ways to fall off and end up soaking wet..........

Here Barry Robinson has captured the ritual of the 1978 occurence.

(Perce tells us that the trial now by-passes Hurst in deference to the Sunday morning peace for the locals - thanks, Deryk)

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-10812800-1405407546_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

#84 - The Washfold section shown here wasn't being used when RMC took over in 1991 as it was too easy for modern bikes. They used one further upstream for a few years but the Trial by passed Hurst from some point in the mid 90's to keep the peace with residents.

#79 - Ernie Page, This picture is NOT from 1999. It's 1993, Ernie, Peter Steward & Bill Wilkinson (+ others????) rode for charity that year following the sad loss of David Page.

#84 - The Washfold section shown here wasn't being used when RMC took over in 1991 as it was too easy for modern bikes. They used one further upstream for a few years but the Trial by passed Hurst from some point in the mid 90's to keep the peace with residents.

#79 - Ernie Page, This picture is NOT from 1999. It's 1993, Ernie, Peter Steward & Bill Wilkinson (+ others????) rode for charity that year following the sad loss of David Page.

Thanks perce, corrections now in place, Deryk.

Hi,

We need some help again, this is Mr Tarrant riding that rocky jumble known as Blackhill in the 1983 Scott, photographed by Barry Robinson. Our puzzle is, is his first name Gareth?

Enjoy.

Perhaps i should more correctly have said the late Willie Dalling.

Hi,

Enjoy.

Perhaps i should more correctly have said the late Willie Dalling.

Hi,

Sorry 2stroke4stroke, obviously I hadn't realised we had lost Willie.

That reinforces my determination to get as many facts and history into the new magazine - 'cos I'm not going to last forever and, sadly, I don't want all my knowledge of the sport as it was to go with me.

Cheers

Deryk

• Like 1

Hi,

Now here's a puzzle picture for you - please, please, please can YOU help us.

Taken by Jack Knoops during the 2002 event, it is one of a series that, unfortunately we can't correctly identify because we don't have an entry list to give us the names and numbers......

So, if you have a copy of a 2002 programme, and a modern camera with a 'Macro' setting, please, please, please take photographs of the pages of the entry list and just email a copy of those images to me at offroarchive, as shown on my name strip below.

Then we can make the identified images available.

We also need entry lists from a 2006 and a 2010 programme if possible.

If you rode in these events and can help with these lists I'll guarantee you get a nice photograph of yourself by return if there is one in the archive - free, gratis and what is more - for nothing!

(perce says: "It's not 2002. John Conway 2003.")

In that case I also need a 2003 entry list - 'cos I've loads of images with a similar number plate..........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-18838700-1406039205_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387