2014 Marks The Centenary Scott Trial

laird387

It's an early type Mont 315 with the non chromed front pipe & different colour casings. It can't be 97 or 98 as there wasn't enough entries to have a #156. So I'd be going for 1999 Robert Crawford 250 Silkolene Montesa who was #156 in 99. In 2000 James Snowden rode #156 but he was down to ride a Beta. No Trial in 2001. In 2002 a new set of bibs were purchased as the old set didn't have enough numbers to suit the entry numbers.

Also note that the red number boards were used in several years, so dating a Scott by the number board colour alone is not an option.

Edited by perce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

His Philip Alderson spotted well into the 1999 Scott trial - you can see the stamina sapping effort in his face - the Scott is certainly an experience all of its own.

Photo: Barry Robinson, enjoy.

post-19290-0-05082900-1396367778_thumb.jpg

Hi,

We are not absolutely certain that Eddie Flintoff was riding his faithful Sunbeam in the 1926 Scott Trial - but we are sure this is Eddie, we know it's 1926 and we know it is Dob Park Splash plus the Scott included Dob Park in the 1926 course - so it seems likely.

In any event, enjoy.

post-19290-0-63708000-1396698440_thumb.jpg

Hi,

We are not absolutely certain that Eddie Flintoff was riding his faithful Sunbeam in the 1926 Scott Trial - but we are sure this is Eddie, we know it's 1926 and we know it is Dob Park Splash plus the Scott included Dob Park in the 1926 course - so it seems likely.

In any event, enjoy.

Deryk

Eddie Flintoff, yes, Dobb Park Splash, yes, but surely this is an early 1960's Ilkley Reunion Trial.

Look at the way the spectators are dressed.

Regards

Sparks

Hi sparks,

I wondered about that - and you could well be right - but in the early 1960s Eddie would have been close to 60 himself - whereas in 1925, '26, '27and '28 he won the event, but after reading the press reports realised he had missed part of the course near the end, so duly reported that to the organisers - who accepted his word, struck him from the results and gave the awards to the Langton brothers, Oliver in '27 and Eric in '28.

But I do agree - it could have been a 1960's Reunion - the only other point, the negative looks more like '26 than '62 - it is very grainy.

Then I looked at another negative - showing Oliver Langton also in the Splash and with very similar spectators - and Oliver was on his 1938 AJS - so it must be the Reunion!!!!

Incidentally, I wondered about your spelling of Dobb - so checked it on Ordnance Survey - it is Dob Park

Cheers.

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Another of the images found in a house clearance in Harrogate - the only 'hint' is a manuscript caption that reads "H. W. Clift, Ariel 350" so come on the armchair sleuths, has anybody heard of such a rider, and judging by the bike with teleforks and a rigid rear it could be early 1950s and what could be the event, no safety roping, but plenty of wheeltracks and the small sticks ether side - could it be just a 'fun' club trial, judging by the top hat.

Enjoy.

Well, it didn't take the sleuths long - 'tis a scene from the 1947 Scott trial!

Attached Images
  • 01img017.jpg
Edited by laird387

Hi,

Another image from the 1947 Scott trial - the manuscript caption on the negative suggested that the rider is a Mr Watson, in which case it could be one of the owners of Watson Cairns Motorcycles in Lower Briggate, Leeds at the time.

I knew Mr Cairns, who lived in Adel but not his business partner so it's just a guess.

post-19290-0-83085200-1396785145_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

A typical Scott trial scene photographed by Barry Robinson, shows a rider pausing to see what's happening with his mate.

Enjoy.

(No 58 is Richard Sharp - son of Ray - says 'yorky' - thanks for your help, Deryk)

post-19290-0-26511400-1396854447_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387