My Sherco Died Yesterday :( Can I Take It To The Local Shop?

bigmark1972

It's Alive!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Ok so I ordered a new stator and CDI from SplatShop.

They got them out quickly but unfortunately they sat in the armpit of the universe (Chicago)

for 10 days for whatever reason.

I finally got the goods today and got some time to work on my bike this evening.

I replaced both the CDI and the stator straight away. I know I know I should have done one then the other

so I know what failed but honestly I didn't care I just wanted my bike back. I knew it was ignition, it really had to be

and I liked the idea of having all new ignition bits, pointless or not.

I Zipped it up, put the tank back on and it started first kick.

I swear it runs better than it ever did, snappier off the bottom. Maybe I've just missed it but

the fact is It's never started first kick, always 2 or more.

Anyway I am a VERY happy camper going to ride tomorrow until my hands bleed or my back is done. I am sure I've fallen out of shape

a bit with this break but am very excited to have my bike back.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this thread.

-Mark

• Like 3

Take the CDI with you & swap it when you take a break, that will tell you which part was causing the problem. Most likely to have been the stator as CDI failure is very uncommon in my experience

Well, that is one way to do it. Please at least try what Tony suggested just for future ref to others here. I doubt the CDI is bad, but one never knows.

And since the stator core needs to go back to Splatshop anyway for an aid to others, he may well accept the CDI back if not needed. Large chunk of change here for credit with not too much postage!

Edited by copemech

Your old CDI could have a fault current which has crippled your old hall effect sensor; if it's running and your happy then just leave the two new components attached to your bike. Enjoy :icon_salut:

Your old CDI could have a fault current which has crippled your old hall effect sensor; if it's running and your happy then just leave the two new components attached to your bike. Enjoy :icon_salut:

" Fault Current" Is that the new word of the day or have you lost your fekn mind. :wall:

We have no documented evidence to support such a theory on these.

Great now that it is running Get your :moon: to the next MOTA event! June 8th

http://motatrials.co...ora-june-8-2014

Hoping to make it but no promises. Still waiting on my license to come in the mail and we all know how fast and efficient the government is.....

I may be able to get a ride out and am working on it.

Rode a few hours on Sat been swamped with work but hope to get a few more rides in before Sunday (sure hope I can make it)

-Mark

• Like 1

Bigmark,

If you make it out look me up, My truck is the white one with the Fire Breathing Penguin on the hood.

Biff unfortunately has a work commitment and will not be there.

Snickers may be there (possible work commitment)

All the rest of us goofy named riders should be there.

WGASA%20Hood2.jpg

see ya there

Maybe not...

Bike is broken again....

Took it for a ride this evening ran like a top. Shut it off to take a small break kicked it over and it would not start.

Took it in the building pulled the plug shut all the doors turned off the light kicked it over no spark.

Changed the plug no spark

disconnected kill switch no spark

reset and re cleaned chassis ground no spark

I'm digging deeper but it's not looking good.

I am thinking this Sherco is going to be replaced with a

Honda in short order if I keep dealing with this crap.

:wall:

Very frustrating...

Checked the new stator and found an issue

with the last 2 readings.

I'm not sure what it means

but considering the bike is not making ANY spark

and the numbers are way off it's looking like my new stator

went bad already.

The CDI is new as well, the bike was running great just a few hours ago.

Recommended values in black, mine are in red;

Blue no reading (sometimes shown as 1 or error) 1

Brown 1000 to 1600 1962

Black 1050 to 1650 1927

Using the leads the other way around i.e. black lead to the coloured wires, red to earth.

Blue 600 to 730 648

Brown 650 to 770 748

Black 650 to 770 708

Also test the resistance's of the other coil wires, leads either way around.

White to red 95 ohms 86

Red to green 550 ohms 1

Green to white 640 ohms 1

I still had the old stator that was testing OK on the ohm meter so I put that one back on.

I then had a spark but it was very weak.

The bike will start on this original stator but it won't stay running and runs very poorly

similarly to how it ran before this whole mess started.

I was careful not to pinch any wires in the harness for each stator during the removal and refit.

At this point I can conclude the old CDI was likely fine as it did not want to run with the old stator and new CDI.

I am guessing I am sitting on 2 bad stators at this point.

Sigh....

Will get them off to splatshop for testing.

Seems really strange to me for a new stator to die so quickly although I have seen a brand new beta run for a couple of minutes out of the crate before it lunched it's stator so it's not impossible

If your old stator still tests ok then I wonder if it's possible that the magnets in the flywheel are failing which will produce weak spark, I have a spare from when you could only buy the stator & flywheel together which is yours for the cost of postage from New Zealand if you think that could be the problem