Wtc Penrith Or Fort William Nevis Range

gasser2011

I feel its mostly down to economics. The Tour de France can pretty much close Yorkshire for two days and charge nothing to spectators due to massive TV rights & outside sponsorship.

If the WTC had the financial support to choose any location in Yorkshire then many of our issues regarding venue & accessibility would be answered. But this is not the reality of world trials.

You are aware that the TDF costs a considerable amount to bring to an area? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28424843

PS I love the way this **** is moaning London didn't get any Government brass!

Edited by perce

You are aware that the TDF costs a considerable amount to bring to an area? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-28424843

Indeed I am Perce; that's my very point, the financial & commercial scale of something like TdF will attract significant investment and with that, matters like road closures can easily get accomplished. Whether there is a payback for the region is debatable but it certainly gave me & my wife all the excuse we needed for a week in Brompton-on-Swale and the atmosphere around the Dales was great.

I like you, have not shed a tear for the financial difficulties of the South East. They even have to auction tennis games these days, times are so tough! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28443588

In the UK there is legislation that allows for road closure for none motorised events such as the TDF. There is presently no such legislation for motorised events, but it looks like this will change in the next few years.

Same discussion took place after Nordview last year - time for a change of venue but nowhere totally suitable to go.

IMO it's probably just as easy and probably cheaper for me to go to a WTC round in France, Spain, Belgium than it would be to go to Fort William.

If it's 3 hours on from Penrith, that's 7hr 30 or so for me driving.

Can probably hit most of France in 7hr 30 (not allowing for ferry etc) or just fly from Luton.

When Penrith was originally only 1 day I decided I wasn't going to go all that way for 1 day only. Going Fri/Sat/Sun makes journey worthwhile.

I liked Hawkstone - centrally located.

I also love Houghton Towers - although been 20 years since last there so guessing that's a bit of a no go

Not knowing the logistics behind securing a venue for an event like this I'd assume that options are few and far between as there's certainly ample ground in Wales, Yorkshire etc.

It's a shame we can't do European style in a town or village in the UK as the whole ambience and atmosphere is always amazing and the locals seem largely welcoming and open to the event (not sure UK would be as open armed)

• Like 1

It's a shame we can't do European style in a town or village in the UK as the whole ambience and atmosphere is always amazing and the locals seem largely welcoming and open to the event (not sure UK would be as open armed)

Sounds like you've never been to Fort William !