Anyone Have A 'ladybird' Guide To Converting A Tyr To Twinshock

iconic558

Bilks:

Many thanks for that, we a few guys this using chinese CG engines in tlr frames and modern front ends too, good luck with that project

like myself, i never even bother to tot up my dabs, its a fun day out for me.....that and the fact i count myself lucky to be riding due to a chronic illness....keeps me active

If converting a mono, the bottom shock mounts are fairly straightforward, the top mounts take a bit more thought. Mono frames were not designed for loads in the area of top mount, and will probably require strengthened.

Bilks:

Many thanks for that, we a few guys this using chinese CG engines in tlr frames and modern front ends too, good luck with that project

like myself, i never even bother to tot up my dabs, its a fun day out for me.....that and the fact i count myself lucky to be riding due to a chronic illness....keeps me active

If you only ride for fun why not leave it standard and just enjoy riding it?

The bike should be more than capable to ride with modern iron, so what’s the point in chopping it?

• Like 1

I give up :rolleyes:

Thanks for starting this thread. I have recently acquired a donor frame. The idea is to swap back and forth frames depending on what rules I decide to ride. Our nationals have an open vintage class. Air cooled and twin shock, no hydraulics is about it for the bike. Perfect bike for the open vintage class.

Ok,a bit of advice,the shock mounts on the swinging arm are fairly easy.The upper mounts on the frame are a bit harder,when I move them on Majesty conversions I use a little drill guide to help out when trying to drill a fairly large hole in a not much bigger tube.Its just a length of flat steel with a length of tube welded to it in line,at the right height to make the drill stay central when drilling into the frame tube.You can scribe a line down the length of the flat to help line up with the opposite side.If you look at these photos; https://plus.google.com/photos/109171438807732712015/albums/5694268572989036097?banner=pwa

About 50 pics down you will see what I mean. Pay plenty of attention to bracing as already said,the subframe simply wasn't built to take these kind of loads.

Ok,a bit of advice,the shock mounts on the swinging arm are fairly easy.The upper mounts on the frame are a bit harder,when I move them on Majesty conversions I use a little drill guide to help out when trying to drill a fairly large hole in a not much bigger tube.Its just a length of flat steel with a length of tube welded to it in line,at the right height to make the drill stay central when drilling into the frame tube.You can scribe a line down the length of the flat to help line up with the opposite side.If you look at these photos; https://plus.google.com/photos/109171438807732712015/albums/5694268572989036097?banner=pwa

About 50 pics down you will see what I mean. Pay plenty of attention to bracing as already said,the subframe simply wasn't built to take these kind of loads.

I've seen alot of twinshock Yamaha TY175s that the subframe wasn't up to strength either,indication is the small strip of metal that is horizontal just above the swingarm pivot starts to buckle as the subframe bends upwards from repeated hard bottoming. Result is a slacked out front end geometry.

Edited by htrdoug