Reiger Shock On 2009 Gg Eco

tahoebrian5

Adjustable olle looks the best combination of cost and ride quality plus you won't have to change the links. You'd have to be a good expert to find anything lacking with that Spend the money you save on some lessons You'll improve much more quickly

Edited by huski

Hey Brian,

From this video you posted earlier I'm not sure why you think your shock is shot... As a fellow beginner I am now thinking I might need to replace the shock in my 2002 GG. Is there a way to measure or tell when a shock is "shot" I really hadn't given it much thought before. I have changed the oil in my forks a few times but have never really given the shock much attention. Mine will certainly bottom out off larger obstacles but I am 195 lbs so just figured that was normal. It is my first trials bike so don't have much experience with other trials bikes.

Got to admit looking at that I do not see much wrong with the behavior of the rear wheel. If anything it looks a little stiff. If you have a good rider about ask them for their opinion before spending money you will want for a newer bike later. If you look at the video the rear wheel is not as stiffly sprung as yours is.

http://youtu.be/Tv4m0kyfT0U

Edited by telecat

Beginner, 185ish lbs

I would forget all about spending a lot of money on a rear shock at beginner level, you're not good enough to notice any difference IMO.

I have a 2014 factory all singing, all dancing top of the range Reiger, can I tell the difference between that and the olle on my previous 2012 sherco....nope.

Well, that video was my first 15 minutes ever on the bike. I thought it felt a bit soft. When I took a closer look I found the bump stop is torn and destroyed. Measuring my sag, it's at 3.5" and the preload is pretty tight so not sure how much more I could get. I know at some point the spring will "close" before you reach full travel. So at the very least I need a new spring and bump stop. My thought was that judging by the rest of the bike, the shock is probably fairly beat as far as the damper and the fluid. Also the stiction, I measured at 1/2". I measured by lifting the rear, letting it settle and taking a measurement, then do the same but compress first and let it settle. The difference in measurements is the stiction. 1/2" is terrible. Granted it may be in he linkage too but just another thing to consider. So back to the feel, if I jump hard on it at a stand still it bottoms. When I push on the center of the bike the rear drops way more than the forks so it's unbalanced also. I also feel like I want a bit more rebound to get more action out of the rear.

Back to options, does anyone have any feedback on the adjustable olle? I've read some posts that mention no difference is noticeable when making adjustments. If that's the case than probably not worth $100 over the basc model.

Even though I'm a beginner I'm fairly sensitive to how the bike feels and really want something adjustable so I can tune to taste.

• Like 1

I have a 2014 racing with a reiger and the latest linkages and it is the best rear end of any of the gassers I have owned. Mate has one with a standard ohlins and in my opinion the reiger is much better. I am pretty sure the linkages can be upgraded, check with the US importer.

I'm still leaning towards the used Reiger. I'm supposed to call the guy tonight. Stu at jacks cycles mentioned a rough $400 for the new linkage. I'm wondering if you need all the parts or just the dog bone parts? I might just try it the way it is. It's only one spring size softer than ideal considering the old linkage so might be okay. I'm sure anything is going to feel awesome compared to what it's like now

So back to the feel, if I jump hard on it at a stand still it bottoms. When I push on the center of the bike the rear drops way more than the forks so it's unbalanced also. I also feel like I want a bit more rebound to get more action out of the rear.

Back to options, does anyone have any feedback on the adjustable olle? I've read some posts that mention no difference is noticeable when making adjustments. If that's the case than probably not worth $100 over the basc model.

Even though I'm a beginner I'm fairly sensitive to how the bike feels and really want something adjustable so I can tune to taste.

What this is saying is the front forks are not working properly. Not the rear shock. They have to work in unison. And it is better to be to soft than too hard. By the way, what countershaft sprocket do you have? You are riding way too fast.

What this is saying is the front forks are not working properly. Not the rear shock. They have to work in unison. And it is better to be to soft than too hard. By the way, what countershaft sprocket do you have? You are riding way too fast.

How do you figure? 3.5" of rear sag and you suspect the front?

A smaller front sprocket is on my list for sure. 9 or 10 tooth?

Edited by tahoebrian5

Might be worth a trip to your nearest trials shop or at least an experienced trials rider to help you sort this out. The first time I rode with an experienced rider was a real eye opener for me these bikes are so different than riding Enduro or MX bikes good to get some pro help if at all possible. Maybe just go to your nearest event and ask around - trials riders are typically very helpful to new riders.

Advice on a forum is a bit like trying to explain computers to your parent over the phone - my dad called me today wondering why spreading his fingers on his mac air screen wasn't making the screen bigger the way it does on his phone and tablet :).

Thanks for the offer, that is cheaper than i have found. I did commit to buy tge used reiger though so i will have to pass.

I just hope you don't get yourself into a quagmire here. I would put it on and try it. Ck the lengths as that could be why the dogbones aer different length.