Ty250A Rear Tire Choices ?

scot taco

the irc has very soft sidewall to the point hwere on the road or trail they feel like riding on a flat tyre..

That's the tube type, they've been the same since they were introduced. They're inconsistent and some are better than others but generally they are too soft. For lighter riders it's not so noticeable as they don't load the sidewall so much but once you're over, say around 11 - 12 stones, it becomes noticeable. Especially when the weather is warm.

The tubeless IRC has a different sidewall which is stiffer, although I've had a couple which have been too soft in recent times and rolled too much, but that's in over 20 years of using them.

The tubeless work fine with a tube on Akront rims but I've never been able to get any tubeless tyre to hold on Japanese rims, they generally drop into the well when the pressure drops below 10psi. I guess altering the profile of the bead of the tyre could get around that, to make it the same as a tube type but I've never tried it.

Edited by woody

Thanks Woody.I see that you said the samething in an earlier post so I am sorry for you having to repeat it.From what I can tell by looking around at tire prices the only true tube type is the IRC.I saw one add for a Michelin tube type,clicked on it and it said they were discontinued.The other adds I saw for Michelins said they would work tubed or tubeless depending on the rim.

I,m pretty sure the Dunlop 803 and Pirelli mt43 adds said tubeless only so unless I missed some (quite possible) the only true tubed type trials tire is the IRC. If that is the case it seems like the only one to trust the bead staying where it should on the TY.

Yes it's the only tube type worth using, but the sidewalls are soft and the tyre can roll on cambers and rocks. Depends on your weight, the temperature, pressure etc. If you run at 6psi it helps stop it rolling but grip will suffer at that pressure, depending on what you're riding on. The Michelin tubed was useless as it was no longer a tubed version of the X11

You can use the tublis system to keep a tubeless tyre on a rim. I used it on a KT250, which, like the Yam, won't hold a tubeless tyre on it's rim.

If you can find someone to show you how to modify the bead of a tubeless tyre to the same profile as a tubed type, that's another solution. I've never done it so can't help.

Thanks again Woody.I will look into the tubliss system,but for the type of terrain that most of my riding will be on the IRC might do.

Tube type IRC, (TR 011) is an excellent tyre. As said a bit more air than other makes usually.

Yes and no Ross. The grip factor is excellent, just as good as the tubeless. The sidewalls let it down. I have had one or two where the sidewalls were stiffer from new but softened with use, but 95% have been too soft from new. I tried one recently in my Ossa when out running in the bike and could not do a cambered section, the rear tyre rolled down the camber and turned the bike around every time. Swapped the wheel for my tubeless one and section cleaned no problem.

If you ride solely on rocks and can afford to run a little more psi than normal, say 5 - 6psi, it goes someway to negating the soft sidewall.

If you ride mainly mud, cambers, roots etc, then 5 - 6psi is no use, there isn't enough contact patch for maximum grip. With the tyre at normal pressure of 3 - 4psi the sidewalls give and the tyre rolls on the sidewall on cambers, over the points of rocks. I've even had them roll under hard throttle on flat ground in a straight line when going at steps etc. which rear wheel steers the bike offline.

It's not so noticeable for lighter riders and it's not so noticeable if sections are fairly straightforward and on the easy side where grip isn't paramount. So depending on how someone rides and the level at which they ride at, it can make a difference I guess. But once section severity increases and grip is at a premium requiring the lowest pressure, the sidewalls cause problems.

Don't know why they don't give them the same construction as the tubeless, It can't be that difficult...

• Like 1

I use Michelin X-11 on my TY250 without any problems. I over inflate the tire to 20PSI or so when the bike will be stored for any length of time to make sure ii is fully seated on the rim. I use 4-6 PSI when riding.

Here in the USA the IRC tires are quite expensive, so it's not that more to use a Michelin, and the Michelin has always lasted longer than the IRC (either tubeless or tube type) for me.