What's Going On With Gas Gas

gassa1

I know a lot of people who work at the factory in Girona .... and they're not hopeful.

Last week I went around the factory and the Ossa R and D dept. .. which are like morgues , with nothing happening and only a few staff in the whole mirror factory. Nothing is being made but they're doing they're best to get parts out.

Many workers have already been laid off .

They general consensus is that they need cash flow from either the Israeli investors or the Gvt ... but neither are providing this.

The view is people who work for them is that they are going to be allowed to go down and then something debt free will raise from the ashes.

I dearly hope it works out for them.

whats this got to do with Ossa, I thought they were two different companies in the same building.?

It's doesn't look good at the minute seems like the only way forward is for the company to go bust wipe out all the debt and start up again but how did gas gas even get into this position ? It must be the most popular trials bike on the market by a long way and even the enduro bikes seem to becoming more popular over the last few years

So whos paying for the truck and raga? It seems that they dont follow any kind of logical business practice of being in administration or whatever it is.

As sales are there the bust and re start seems a good way to do it, but in a much smaller factory with different management?

The Israeli investors are keeping the brand alive. ... that's where the money is coming from. These guys love Gasgas.

I know exactly where all the money has gone and why and more than likely where some of it still exists today.Ive only found this out because I've made it my business to look into it . It's taken me months and months to discover it all.In doing so have come to realise that it is not information that anyone wants public let alone just for a little Sunday afternoon enjoyment.

Sorry Ham.... You'll have to go on blaming it on some old problem engine story.

• Like 1

So did GG buy Ossa or did they have a finger in the pie from the start?.

I can take a good guess where the money went, The sister companies that supplied GG (Hebo etc) were raking it in leaving GG just ticking over and needing sharehoders and the banks money, Then the big guy gets out still owning the sister companies and starts up another brand?????

• Like 2

Having good sales has little to do with profit if your sale price is less than your cost price which I assume GasGas has been doing for years now.

Clearly the cost price of a gasser or Sherco or Beta is not that different from each other when you consider that so many components are very very similar/the same.

It must be the base price for parts that is profitable, it must be.

What isnt the same is the overheads. You look at the sherco assembly plant in Caldes de montbui and its miniscule compared to GG. Thats just one thing.

And thats why they easily accomadated manufacturing the OSSA, not that the numbers are that great.

As I was in the area (bit south of Barcelona) I asked a few dealers and a hire shop about GG. Reply was basically "Who knows, Who can guess". I came across another business (nothing to do with motorcycles) where ex workers with banners were protesting outside about being "sacked" with wages owing. There was management notice inside saying company had had had cash flow problems but 80 workers were working under new conditions and hoping to make company a success. Company was probably operating at less than 1/3 normal capacity. Also many hotels very nearly empty and offering bargain deals. Quite a few builders merchants shut down and others very quiet.

General impression I got is that things are pretty quiet and either in or just on verge of recession, certainly far from busy.

Never saw a single GG or any other trials bike. Yam DTs seemed commonest but also a lot of asian / chinese imports.

The latest message from the factory workers on their Facebook page:

'On Thursday we took our demands to the parliament of Catalonia, invite all colleagues, friends and fans motorcycle world to join us and follow us for the networks in this event.
Thank you all for the solidarity and the spirits received these weeks'

11038787_954081957958199_379002309688466

Edited by guys