Modern V Old

nickyburnell

Hi all. Got an Ossa MAR and a Gas Gas TXT250 (99).

The Ossa will do tiny throttle openings, soft power at nearly a stand still. The Gas Gas is a little fut fut at this speed, needing clutch control. Before I start messing with carb jettings on the Gas Gas, is this normal, just the way a modern is?

Thanks

First you never needed the clutch on an MAR. It had enough flywheel to run a dead idle. As long as you could jet it. On the `99 I would make sure you have a 10t counter shaft sprocket as they ran fast stock. On the other hand the clutch on modern bikes are amazingly light and easy thanks to hydraulics! Two different turds.

The modern bike is designed to be ridden on the clutch. Nobody ever had a strong enough wrist to ride an Ossa that way :-)

I have to agree with that. But I don't agree that  the Ossa MAR would tootle along on a small throttle. The ONLY bike I ever had that did that was the Bultaco 325 & 350, hence the reason I loved them.

But I much prefer the modern hydraulic clutch & brakes on my JTG300.

• Like 1

Both MAR's I've owned with Mikuni's and original carbs have managed almost no throttle at all (tickover even if set higher) and then taken full throttle from that (below) walking pace.

From the girlfriends perspective, a new rider, never ridden bike before, she prefers and has more control with the cable clutch and brakes of the Ossa.