New Bike... How Often?

heffergm

Tyres - 120pounds/180 dollars

Sprockets and chain - 50/75

Linkage and shock bearings - 50/75

Brakepads - 40/60

Seals - 20/30

Wheel bearings - 20/30

All these things need changed after 1 or 2 years, thats 300 pound, 450 dollars that could be going towards a new bike. Tell me where im paying too much?

1/4 way to a new bike, 300 x 4 = £1200 You riding a pit bike ?

Tyres - 120pounds/180 dollars

Sprockets and chain - 50/75

Linkage and shock bearings - 50/75

Seals - 20/30

Wheel bearings - 20/30

All these things need changed after 1 or 2 years, thats 300 pound, 450 dollars that could be going towards a new bike. Tell me where im paying too much?

i haven't changed most of those items on the last 3 bikes i've owned. 

beta rev3 6 years (changed fork seals)

sherco 290 3 years(new air filter because i'm lazy)

gg 270 3 years(1 new rear fender because i crashed)

that's 12 years of almost zero maintenance cost.

2 times a year i change the coolant and every few months i change the transmission fluid

i ride a couple of hours per week and compete a couple of times each year. all my bikes work as intended. wash and grease keeps things working well and i almost never ride in mud or water. i rarely buy new tires as what's the point if i don't compete that much.

2 times a year i change the coolant and every few months i change the transmission fluid

i ride a couple of hours per week and compete a couple of times each year. all my bikes work as intended. wash and grease keeps things working well and i almost never ride in mud or water. i rarely buy new tires as what's the point if i don't compete that much.

What an exciting life you lead.

• Like 1

1/4 way to a new bike, 300 x 4 = £1200 You riding a pit bike ?

1200 depreciation!! Who buys a new bike without selling their old one!!? 

You change your radiator coolant more often than sprockets, tyres and brake pads? Do you do a lot of revving in neutral?

Edited by faussy

only change sprockets and chains when worn? right? 

Yes, and im saying if you go 6 years on one set of brake pads, sprockets or rear tyre you arent going too hard.

People always wonder why there is no money in trials and bike companies go bust. Theres your answer. (Im not singling out yourself here, 90% of trials riders are the same)

Edited by faussy

trials bike are easy on parts, most riders in our club are old guys, don't ride fast and don't ride hard on the bike. when i was young i broke stuff all the time. but now i'm just poking along and the bikes are so reliable and easy to maintain.

Yes, and im saying if you go 6 years on one set of brake pads, sprockets or rear tyre you arent going too hard.

People always wonder why there is no money in trials and bike companies go bust. Theres your answer. (Im not singling out yourself here, 90% of trials riders are the same)

I think you would be shocked at the money "invested" in twin shock and pre2016 bikes.

• Like 1

For a few riders and bikes yes, but the majority of trials riders do not spend money on bikes, whatever age. Thats whats good about the sport, its the cheapest form of motorsport in my opinion, but thats whats wrong with it. 90% of trials riders will buy a new bike and not buy one more thing for it for 5 years, nada, not even a spare filter or a set of pads, never mind a trick exhaust or suspension bits! (case proven above). The aftermarket sales of trials parts is shocking. A MX'er will out purchase aftermarket parts for his bike 10:1 compared to a trials rider.