Sherco Silecone

nyawton

Hi all

I now have a sherco 290 and its been great fun so far, except having to seal up the rear end with silecone :) Has anybody got a more permenent solution to this or is it something im just guna have to do? I know i will still need to take the air box off now and again anyway but silecone is a mess

CIA

I guess I am not sure what exactly you are sealing up with silicone.

I seal across the back of the airbox, onto the rear frame support with a piece of duct tape usually.

I believe that ishy runs some home weatherstriping foam in some strategic places around the airbox to seal it too the fender I believe.

I guess if you could explain what you are sealing too what, maybe we could lend some extra insight.

Best thing I have found is to silicone an old windscreen wiper (or any bit of rubber) to the air box. This fills the gap nicely between the air box and the frame, and as it is stuck to the air box, you don't have to keep checking it is still in place. Plus as it is only stuck to the air box with silicone, if you want to take it off, you can do, without doing any damage to the rubber or the airbox.

Its a 03 model, I already had a test ride on my friends (trial master) and it just felt good,They seem well built also,

Yeh it is the part between the rear fender and the airbox, also between the airbox and exaust, i heard that water sprays from rear tyre and leaks into the filter causing problems, the windscreen solution sounds good so far cheers all

Edited by Nyawton

Next time you silicone it up try wraping one of the bits with cling flim then this bit can be removed after the silicone has set leaving a nice mould of the part so when you put it back it shouldn't need resealing.

I am like Al I use good old fashioned duct tape. I believe there is even a tech tip on the RYP site suggesting this.

One thing I recommend is that everytime you wash the bike you remove the rear fender and place a piece of duct tape over the air filter inlet and replace the rear fender. After washing the bike remove the rear fender blow everything off real well and then remove the tape before you start the bike.

Wayne

If you want to stop water into air intake ,I get a piece of thin neoprene and make a cut out for the intake that tucks under the lip ,the sheet i made covers right up to rear plastic trim,tucks in under guard lip and goes down each side till it shows out under rear guard,trim off at that ,and extend the neoprene right down to the tank mount screw hole i have found this stops any water ,although it is not mean't to be a submarine.This way water splashes are deflected and run down the inside of the guard etc.Hope this helps.

You could also try using the 2005 model splash shield that seals around the shock and prevents water travelling up the gap between the inner side faces of the airbox and exhaust.

Bear in mind that the engine still needs to breathe and only very deep river crossings will test the standard setup.

Sometimes the harder you make it for the water to get into the area surrounding area, also makes it harder for any water to drain away and blow right on through.

Definitely before washing (especially if using the killer pressure washers), remove the mudguard (fender), remove the air filter for inspection/cleaning, and cover the airfilter inlet, then replace the mudguard and plug up the exhaust.

After washing reverse the procedure (pop in your pre-oiled spare filter, and run the engine to dry.

(If problems starting then check that the exhaust plug was also removed ..it happens!)

Ishy had a good post going but like always the lurkers from the dark side couldn't help but wonder how Sherco managed to get an airbox and the exhaust under the seat sticker and out of the way.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1212

post-456-1129092742.jpg

:( I've done this on all my Shercos in the past:-

To make a 're-usable' seal:-

Remove the rear mudguard then put a bead of silicone where you need it ( around the perimeter of the air box/frame)and let it dry...solid.

Go to the mudguard and smear grease on the underside where it will make contact with the silicone on the airbox/frame.

Now the silicone should seal but not stick to the mudguard so you can take off the mudguard and re-seat it to your hearts content.

:)

:( clean machine wrote:-

The best permanent solution is get a gasser you'll have more fun n less hassle with water getting in the airbox!!

Ho, Ho!

Ray Mears actually carries a Gas Gas airbox in the desert as it's the only guaranteed source of water.

To partially quote a TMX tester (gas gas now scorpa, dealer)''Gas Gas are now on to MK24 airbox for the Pro''.

I can only presume that it does'nt rain on clean machine's planet ! :)