Handlebar To Body Geometry

anotherfive

Hi   Considering some bar raisers always wondered about the best set up and to see if any benefit. in particular forward position and raise/lift. Some shops charge a fortune for a "bike fit" for push bikes and I'm thinking there must be some views on this for trials riding. I have a few trials mates who are very funny shapes ( large body no legs,large head and three fingers, really ugly and dodgy knees to name but three etc etc) so I may be able to help them a little !!! Any advice

It depends on how high you want to lift the bike, I had 12mm rise on this old Sherco, A foot higher than the obstacles in the pics then I would have found the 12mm rise a struggle. I'm around 6 foot and don't bend like I used to.

I used 12mm on the Gas Gas too but Have dropped to 4mm now on the Beta to try to counter act the engine weight when vertical.

netley%20marsh%20skip.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

My advice on risers is avoid them unless you need them.  Most of the time I have seen risers I see people who have there bars to far back and are compensating for incorrect bike setup.  And second only go as much as you need, if you can get away with 4mm only do 4, if you need 12 sure go 12, but keep it as little as possible.  

I think steve_earle is more the exception than the rule but he did it correct and didn't go to tall and you can tell his bike is setup well.  

Edited by jonnyc21

They are normally standard sized. There are different bends available to fit propperly. Could be MX bars.

I would not recommend bar risers, make more use of your leggs. For medical (or age) reasons I can understand, otherwise I would not use them.

Edited by crazybond700

When I had the Sherco I used medium height bars, they were of the 7/8 variety (cheaper).

The GasGas I ride now has fat bars but they are too low (made my back hurt to ride)

So being cheap, it was less money to buy bar risers than to buy new Fat bars with the medium height.

Love the way the bike feels now.

So moral of my story, proper way to do it is to get the bar height to match what you need.

(Unless you are like me and trying to keep cost down and buy bar risers to get the height needed)

I cut my bars shorter than stock,  I like to have my wrist "straight", I need my hand and forearm to be inline with each other or it hurts to ride.  If the bars are too wide then my hands point inward and the forearm points outward,  if the bars are too narrow then the opposite occurs, hands point out and forearm points in.

• Like 1

When I had the Sherco I used medium height bars, they were of the 7/8 variety (cheaper).

The GasGas I ride now has fat bars but they are too low (made my back hurt to ride)

So being cheap, it was less money to buy bar risers than to buy new Fat bars with the medium height.

Love the way the bike feels now.

So moral of my story, proper way to do it is to get the bar height to match what you need.

(Unless you are like me and trying to keep cost down and buy bar risers to get the height needed)

I cut my bars shorter than stock, I like to have my wrist "straight", I need my hand and forearm to be inline with each other or it hurts to ride. If the bars are too wide then my hands point inward and the forearm points outward, if the bars are too narrow then the opposite occurs, hands point out and forearm points in.

Johnny , sorry for intruding but please can u tell me do any guys shorten there bars or are they all standard size, mine do seem over wide !!!!

Cheers.

Stock trials bars are wider than most MX type bars because it give better leverage when performing the needed technique for getting up on things. So unless you have a need (medical reasons) I recommend against cutting them down and learning how to ride with stock bars.

If you feel they are nont stick find someone to go ride with and compare.

Also there are several different bends and heights on trials bars so if you like something different I suggest looking into your options.

On bar risers, I am glad it was stated To get taller bars instead as I forget to say this myself. It's a way better option if you want or need a taller body position.

Edited by jonnyc21

I recently bought  a 2001 Sherco 2.9. Its my first trials bike and it came with bar risers. I do not like the stress it puts on my clutch line, preventing full steering lock/stop turn. I plan on removing them but I'm not sure of the standard bar height as the bars have been replaced.