Rear Shock / Linkage Clunk

dusty_viper

Hi everyone,

I have a GasGas txt with an Ohlins rear shock and something has started to clunk when I do a stoppie / endo. It will make a loud clunk when the rear wheel comes off the ground and then clunk again when the wheel hits the ground. This doesn't happen everytime I do do a stoppie, if I'm gentle it wont. The weird thing is, If I'm hopping around on the flat and even with the rear wheel coming off the ground it wont clunk.

I've checked the bearings in the linkage and they look OK. Additively there is a little play but nothing extortionate. I've found that all my gasgas' have had a little play in them but the rear shock bushes certainly didn't fall out when I took the shock out!

I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the rear of the bike and I'm thinking it's something with the rear shock as if I dial the rebound adjuster all the way in (so it's at it's slowest setting) it wont make the noise. The rebound on the shock is also still quite fast when it is turned all the way in (slower than all the way out but I would expect the shock to return REALLY slow even with the spring in if the rebound was turned all the way in)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to confirm where the problem is? Unfortunately I don't have access to another shock to try.

Thanks a lot in advance.

No I don't touch the back brake when I endo. I'll double check the headstock but I'm pretty certain it's not that or it would clunk over bumps and also when just applying the front brake hard.

I did also check the shock bushes and they looked OK however, I know that it's hard to sometimes see the movement in them when they are outside the bike.

Thanks Mbeers, I'm afraid I'm in the UK though!

There is some play in the rear linkage, I've had it on a stand, rocked it and there is definitely a little movement but I can't work out whether it's the linkage or the shock bushes. I know previously when the linkage bearings where worn, it didn't make any noises.

One thing to mention when I lowered the preload on the spring rate, it didn't clunk as much but it's definitely still there.

I'm more torn towards the shock though as when I wind the rebound all way to the slowest, it doesn't do it where if it was the linkages, it would still make the noise surely?