Remembrance Sunday

timp

Is it time to consider changing the rule regarding trials on remembrance sunday.

Do other sports and events not run on this date or is it just motorsport?

Do shops shut?

Does everyone else not do what they want on this date?

Surely it would be better to run charity events on this date, have a minutes silence at the start at 11am and raise some money for good causes.

Mark T

It's a truly British trait to reject the prospect of doing some good for someone in favour of being miserable.

We'll probably get loads of people saying it's a day of rememberance etc etc etc, and they may have valid arguments.

How many of those will go nowhere near a rememberance service, not manage the one/two minutes silence at 11 oclock, not take part in any act of rememberance whatsoever, and possibly not even buy a poppy.

There is nothing wrong with people remembering the dead in their own way. There is a lot of people who would like to remember them in a different way - and no, I'm not saying trials in particular.

It's funny how much money is spent on remembrance, not least the 2 weeks of parades we used to go through in the forces to prepare for it - surely this sort of effort could be put to better use?

So....that's probably going off on a bit of a tangent, but....when someone makes a suggestion which would raise money for a good cause, rightly or wrongly, surely they deserve a better answer than NO ?

Does the ACU actually not give licences for trials on Remembrance Sunday or is it a voluntary thing amongst clubs? The Hook Woods club ran a trial last sunday which raised a lot of money for charity but I don't know why more clubs don't organise something for the saturday. Horsforth and District MCC have the Bob Owen trial the day before Remebrance Day and it's always really well supported.

Thanks for the explanation. It's the sort of discussion I used to have with my grandmother, she didn't know why, she just always did it. Come on add some meat to it. It's a discussion forum.  :rolleyes:

Okay - explanation since you forced me. Because I own this site I try to stay neutral on most things - hard as it is sometimes :unsure: Outside of this (and I do have a life outside this, believe it or not!) I'm a big follower of WWII history. Even leaving out WWI, just the WWII stuff, if you read some factual books of what those guys went through so you can ride your Trials then you'd agree. Keep Rememberance Sunday for exactly what it is.

For the whole country to have trials events in the aid of the Pension funds of the WW2 veterans has surely got to be a better cause than just doing nothing and I have the same respect for them as you 2 do. I have never thought about this before but it is a good idea. If you want to make the people who fought in the war have some respect for society today, then what better thing can you do than put money in their pockets to give them a better quality of life! After all, this government is doing sod all to help them!

I'm sort of playing devils advocate - and to be honest I can't decide :rolleyes:

I can see both sides. That's sort of why I wanted to push the discussion, I want to see what people really think about it.

Some of the problem people have with remembrance Sunday is the tie to religion. It used to annoy me that in the forces, you couldn't go to a remembrance 'event' without having religion forced down your neck. There should be no link whatsoever as far as I can see.

On the subject of trials on Rem Sunday, it could lead to us being thought of as a bunch of disrespectful yobs I suppose, even if we were raising money for charity, and respecting the 2 minutes silence.

Just because other people, clubs etc do not observe rememberance Sunday is no excuse for us to start organising events.

The ACU will not issue a permit, so any clubs who do compete are doing so with the permission of an alternative permit issuing authority.

I personally believe that it would be wrong to start competing.

We are asked to show so little respect for people now, (elderly, teachers, even parents)I think it is appropriate just once a year to remember all those who have given their lives by giving up our fun hobby.

Irrespective of wearing poppies or 1 min silences, doing this one small thing goes some way towards showing some respect.

This is only my personal thought; please keep rememberance day as it is. It's such a small price to pay compared with what so many gave for us.

Sorry if this hurts some people, it's just how I feel.

There's a two-day trail held in Jersey over the Remembrance Sunday weekend every year. Think about what they went through, the Germans occupied them!

I observed a two minute silence on the 11th, tuned in to BBC1 on Remembrance Sunday and observed the silence there too. After that I spent the rest of the day doing my normal Sunday stuff and in all honesty I never gave the matter another thought. I feel slightly ashamed to admit this but it

Edited by boofont

How many riders on this forum compete in an event every week of the year? Answer, probably very few.

Giving up a ride for one day a year is a small sacrifice, there are 51 other weekends to get your fix!!!

Think it would do nothing for public relations to run events on this day, and as far as fund raising events...Taunton club run a charity event on the Saturday afternoon.

Martin

and as far as fund raising events...Taunton club run a charity event on the Saturday afternoon.

Well thats the obvious thing then to please everyone. Where possible, run an event on the saturday before remembrance day and donate the funds to the people who fought in the wars.(Not just WW2 either)

Sorted!

and as far as fund raising events...Taunton club run a charity event on the Saturday afternoon.

Well thats the obvious thing then to please everyone. Where possible, run an event on the saturday before remembrance day and donate the funds to the people who fought in the wars.(Not just WW2 either)

Sorted!

Perfect solution. Gets my vote!