2018 TRS RR.

medeiros494

Does anyone out there have information regarding the changes to the 2018 TRS Raga from the 2017 bikes?  Trying to make a decision on whether to wait for the 18 or buy the discounted 17.  All opinions and comments welcomed and appreciated...✊️

I think you may well already have the answer to this already, but are hoping the responses match your thinking to better persuade you to choose the route you want to go anyway. Maybe that's just me and I'm entirely incorrect.

It's rational versus emotional. If you forced Raga to compete next year on a 2017 model he would have the same world class performance as currently, and still not beat Bou. I can't imagine the changes making more that a couple of dabs difference over the entire season either, if that. So a 2017 model can't possibly be maxed out by people like us, ever. It's still a tremendous machine and you will lose less selling because you are buying it at a lower cost. This is entirely the head, and ignored totally when buying with the heart. Head works to a budget, so if you have a fixed 2017 sized budget, and cost is important, it's decision made.

Ah, but THE LATEST TECH!!!. Makes no rational sense at all, but there is a lot of emotive in all of us. Heart says it's nice, if you can afford it, to buy new. There is no real rational reason to, not at our level. It is doubtful it will increase our performance by enough to alter the position we finish a trial in. Again, one or two dabs at best, with it being so close to the 2017 model. But yes, it's great to have the latest, why else do we work so hard if we can't treat ourselves for no reason? It's why we enjoy luxury so much. Luxury is never measured on value. The entire point of luxury is we SHOULDN'T be spending that, and we rarely do.

I don't think you can make a wrong decision, as it's not really going to affect performance much, so there is little to justify paying the additional cost. Rational sets the buying intent, so buy 2017, emotional sets the buying intent, so buy 2018. It's rare to posses both thoughts in any one situation and you inherently know which type you are going to apply here. You know you best.

Apologies for not answering the question, I think it's a personal decision and you already have the answer. Me? I'd go, for no good reason whatsoever, with a 2018.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I'd be surprised if they changed the frame color. I actually quite like the white myself. The only change I'd really care to see is a 3 way Reiger rather than the 2-way, and some not-black fork stanchions. I don't expect you'll see many changes on the '18, so at this point the only reason to choose one over the other would be balancing whatever discount you can get on a '17 vs increased resale (if you plan to swap bikes in the near future again) of the '18.

Yeah, I didn't mean stanchions, I meant lowers. I just don't like the black.

As for the Reiger, the one on the RR has separate rebound and compression, but no separate high and low speed compression adjustment (I believe... I could be mistaken, but last I saw one I believe that was the case). Whether that's referred to as a 3 or 4 way these days I can never remember. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2017 at 10:22 PM, medeiros494 said:

Thanks PJC.  We climb on rocks, ride in streams and climb slick muddy slopes while pretty much wearing yoga pants! Tell me about being rational again!?.  I'm really hoping they change the color...???

That's hysterical!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New announcments about the TRS and the r-spec ones, so I would like to know, did OP wait?  

Sounds from the specs, that there must been troubles with the kickstart and or something?  anyone know/heard what is up with that?

• 3 weeks later...

This was posted at least a week ago, 3 pages with photos and some text, from the USA site.  http://www.trsmotosusa.com/images/Raga_Racing_2018/2018 TRS RAGA RACING.pdf

Note that in case the PDF leaves the inter-webs, I copy/paste most of the English PDF.

List of changes in the 2018:  (page1)

• ENGINE New kick-starter system with increased performance and reliability.
  • New kick-start pedal fulcrum, hard anodized.
  • New clutch cover adapted to the new kick-starter system.
  • New gear shift system, increased precision, smoother and more reliable.
  • New secondary shaft with revised bearings for increased strength and reliability.
  • New crankshaft and revised crankshaft bearings.
  • New machining of the clutch actuator levers, better precisión in use.
  • New internal engine tolerances for quieter and livelier operation.

Page 2

• SUSPENSION New Tech Gold fork, with new settings and increased sensititvity.
  • New Reiger rear shock absorber set-up, softer, faster and increased sensititvity.
  • IMPROVEMENTS New brake disc and sprocket protectors with improved flexibility.
  • New design micro-fusion investment-cast rear brake and shift pedals.
  • New cylinder head and combustión chamber, improves performance and reliability.
  • New KEIHIN carburetor spring for improved smoothness during operation.
  • \New fuel tank. Larger capacity and improved finish.
  • New fuel tank cap. Larger diameter, easier to operate, improved sealing.
  • New graphic design and stickers.
  • New NEKEN handlebars.
  • New and improved CDI connection.

• Like 1