05 Beta Feedback

ham2

:hl: Hello folks ,

It's that time again----- where I find myself looking for a new (to me) bike ( '05 model).

I like the way a rev 3 rides but from the experience of a couple of mates(with '04and'03 models) I know the electrics are suspect.

Anyway heres the query..the 05's have been out for a year or so now.. has the stator/cdi problem been sorted?

All feedback welcome.

Ta! :P

No problems but has an 06 stator, interesting.......

I bought the bike from Appy's 6 weeks before this years SSDT and called in at JLI's to buy some bits on the way home. John kindly offered to have it prepped properly by Griffo, as he wanted to give me the best possible chance of finishing the full 6 days (he must have seen me ride before!) I believe that part of this bike prep included the 06 stator along with some other nifty little tweaks here and there.

So, why did they replace a brand new stator on a brand new bike owned by Joe Clubman who only has a slim chance of finishing anyway? Maybe because they care about every single customer who buys Beta and maybe because they recognise that there is the odd one in every batch that hasn't been manufactured 100% perfectly... (My Vito van has been recalled twice due to failing parts supplied by 3rd party manufacturers!)

JLI's have always been really helpful to me and I return the favour by sticking with the Beta brand each year. You simply cannot beat good customer service and that is something that the Silsden crew have nailed down to absolute perfection.

The Beta's are a cracking bike with superb build quality, some folk bitch and whinge about dodgy electrics and leaky carbs till the cows come home. Why? The carb fix costs

I have to agree, Beta gives top notch support. Here in the US, we are fortunate to have the Commo's taking very good care of us. I am on my 4th Beta, I had a slight problem with electronics on one bike. No problem though as I was given new parts under warranty!

B) Thanks for the input people... the main crux of the matter is that I really don't have a problem spending money on repairs ( yes -I am from up North)and I dont doubt the importers commitment to the product.What I can't accept is a trials bike that ''could ?!?!'' leave you totally stranded half way around a trial ( I have very vivid memories of pushing a rev3 on't moors).

I think I need to leave this question open a little while longer.---- discuss!-- :P

Thanks again

I have had 6 and am going for #7. Had a stator fail on my 02 and 03. The 03 was after I got rid of it so actually I am 1 for 6 right now. My 02 was taken care of under warranty and I believe my 03 was taken care of or at least given a great deal to the new owner.

On top of them being a top notch bike, one of the reasons I keep coming back is the top notch support of BETA USA. Ron Sr. and Jr. have made it hard for me to shop any where else.

By the way, the 05 is a perfect bike. I cant think of anything I didnt like about it.

Aaron

Just wondering if those with electrical problems are bike washers? While I am a bike washer, after having electrical problems with an Aprilia years ago, I learned to remove my mag cover after washing to let the electrics dry out fully. I'm on Beta #4 (97, 99, 01, & 04) & have never had any electrical problems with a Beta. I may be wrong, but I tend to think of those with electrical problems (any bike not just Betas) as bike washers who don't give their electrics a chance to dry out.

H

Interesting point re. washing - I always remove the flywheel cover after washing my Rev-3, mop up any moisture with some kitchen roll and leave the cover off for a while (sometimes overnight) before dousing everything in WD and putting the cover back on. If I'm feeling really concientious I'll remove the flywheel and check/clean the stator etc. although that doesn't happen very often! I also pop off the covers on either side behind the headstock and squirt WD on the wiring in there.

I've followed this procedure on all the Beta's I've owned over the past few years and I've never had an electrical problem.

This is clearly a weakness (at least pre-06) but the extra tlc mentioned here should help out significantly with reducing the chance of erosion.

As I recall it the owners manual even recommends removing the flywheel cover and allowing the electrics to dry. Yeah I know, as if anybody reads the manual !

After every wash, I remove the mag cover and start the bike up. Lean it against a wall and let the moisture drain out while the engine heats up and dries it all proper B) Quick squirt of WD40 and she's done, I never silicone the mag cover back on either...

After every wash, I remove the mag cover and start the bike up. Lean it against a wall and let the moisture drain out while the engine heats up and dries it all proper  Quick squirt of WD40 and she's done, I never silicone the mag cover back on either

Got to agree with you there Kinell, I have done just the same as you in the 2 and a half years I've owned Betas and no problems so far, it was Nigel Birkett that advised me to leave the flywheel cover off until at least the night before the next trial and you should always start a bike up after washing to help the mains, anyway its worked for me so I'll keep doing it, just got an 05 200, Great Bike !!