Jump to content

turbofurball

TY175 - Phase 2 tested!

Recommended Posts

2qd9c3X.jpg

I got my TY175, now dubbed "Pinkie Pie", back in February but it took until last Friday 'till I got it back into one piece ... and even then only because I was entered into the Downland trial today!  I didn't manage to finish* but did have a lot of fun, and I love this bike :)

So, phase 1 has been Majesty-ised frame, lengthenned swing arm, steeper yokes, fatbar handlebars, Rock Shocks (very plush!), SM and Wes exhaust (very loud!), and lots of little fixed bits from where the previous owner didn't use any grease on anything.  This has taken it from an unrideable turkey (zero back suspension action) to really pleasant to ride - once I got to grips with it it doesn't feel a million miles from my old TXTPro at my level of riding.

Next up?  A kickstand that's the right length is top of the list, but there's loads still to sort!

* 33 stages over 30 miles off road was too much, I've only been doing light practice recently and didn't realise how rusty I've got ... lesson learned

Edited by turbofurball
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Great bikes - get them right and they can do things you wouldn't believe! Looks like it's in the right direction.

My son on his modded 175 he's used successfully in the Kia experts this year

 

image.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

That looks a little bit more modified than my end game, but it's very cool to see just how far the envelope can be pushed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 

Could be he has cut the tubes there, and wants some more strengthening on his welds.  Or it's a mud-guard !

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Hi

its just a perforated steel guard painted red, to stop mud build up in the head which in the past has lead to mud shorting the plug out

chris ' yam has has 2 years of development to where it is now and a very competitive bike !

cheers

john 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Well, it's been about a year, and this is "Phase 2" ...

YHcWsue.jpg

Changes since Phase 1 are Magicals progressive fork springs, forks also stripped and painted and had fresh oil too, carb ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt with new o-rings etc, gone up one size on both jets, new larger ally air box which was then changed a little to allow more airflow, fibre reed valves, a Shedworks tank-seat unit (it's a Montesa style, with a rough ally tank under a shiny fibreglass cover), and the front sprocket has gone up from 12 tooth to 14.  I've switched from 10w40 to ATF in the gearbox, too, though that doesn't appear to have helped with the sticky clutch yet ... maybe I need to change it again to wash out the last of the old oil (I changed it while the bike was cold)

The net result of all this - it's a smidge lighter (though I've lost a lot of weight this year, which has made a bigger improvement!), the gearing up hasn't overtaken the performance improvement from the airbox, and it pulls better at the low end ... however I am finding I border on stalling it when I want to go super slow in 2nd, so I might drop to a 13 tooth if I have trouble adapting how I ride.

Anyway, it's certainly moving in a more sprightly manner now!

kIV3hDf.jpg


I still haven't sorted the side stand, and the next major change will be rebuilt wheels.  I'll be trying the next size up idle jet too, just in case there's more bottom end to be had.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

My 250 have a lot of the same mods. The magicals springs etc & the lengthened swingarm really make a big difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Ooh, just remembered another change which might be useful to others who are treading a similar route - I trimmed the stator cover so that the front sprocket isn't completely covered.  Any sticky type mud gets jammed up around the sprocket and this just lets it come out easier :) (though it's not been put to the test, yet)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 11/5/2018 at 6:37 PM, brewtus said:

Very nice!  :thumbup:

+1.

I even like the pink!

Paul does great work at Shedworks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks, I wanted to choose a colour that wasn't red & white or black & yellow ... the the colour is called "Technomagenta" :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...