My boy wants to ride

sukahutan

If you have a Gas Gas, I would suggest he gets the same make just so you get to know one make of bike rather than two. Also, the spares may crossover in most cases as long as the bike years are not too far apart. Engine size would depend on your local meeting rules....if he's not restricted by rules then get what ever comes along, 125 or 250. I know of 14 yr. olds on 250 Gas Gas with no problems. I'd avoid a 280 as I've heard they are a bit fiery. 

My daughter did great learning trials on a Beta 80 Sr (full sized wheels).  Might be a little harder to find one but they come in the smaller wheel Jr version and the larger wheel Sr version, worked great from around 11 to 15 for her.

Good luck.

Ask your boy what he wants because if you tell him what to ride it may just irk him against giving it a good go. Both of you have a good look at what others are using, especially your sons age group, there’s nothing like being oh so last year....if you see what I mean...it’s the same with football boots and kit. Prepare for some expense...you’ll both enjoy it better if it’s a joint thing?

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1

All good replies, thanks. Doing something together is very much part of this. He's not doing well at school, lack of interest more than anything and hoping this can find common ground instead of me pushing him all the time. His idea to do trials. We'll start looking with the above in mind.

• Like 2

i hope this is good for you both, i have ridden with my two boys since they were 7 years old ,we have had the joy and tears but its all part of the bonding process . trials is a very disciplined sport requireing full attention at all times . my boys are now men of 19 and 22 and my eldest still rides wth the old man, my youngest stoped about four months ago girls ect !!! i think it mighnt help at school as well, fingers crossed

• Like 2

I'm just a recreational rider, and I've done the OSET to TXT50 to TXT70 to TXT280 route with my son (who is just about to turn (a very tall) 13 years). If I take it too seriously and push him the experience goes poorly. It has to be fun for both you and him. I now try to focus on the universal lessons - such as to practice and that nothing comes instantly - rather than the riding itself exclusively. And at this point in time he can now see me fail as well as we tackle bigger obstacles (which is a good lesson for both of us). Can you also interest your son in the mechanical aspects of the bikes? That can be another good bit of fun and a shared experience. But be prepared for the effort; in the case of my son video games are a force to be reckoned with. :(

• Like 2

Given you are based in Europe I'd stick to 125 bikes as The FIM make the rules here and 125 is in the rules for anybody up to 16 years old. As a thirteen year old he should be challenged enough until he gets the hangs of it!. If you have a Gas Gas then the 125 version is a good bike being flickable revvy and it feels light to a young rider. You'll have the bits already and it's just a matter of finding a good one if you follow the second hand route.

• Like 1

Like many young people it is very easy for them to become distracted, especially at school, college call it what you will. Teachers have had a lot of their powers so stunted that the school children or students have the upper hand right from the start. You only need a few misbehaving individuals to ruin a whole class of willing learners. Your boys street cred will go up with some of his group for riding trials let alone having a Dad who wants his son to ride! The technical information side of trials and the machines could be the nucleus of a re think for him about maths and science, then of course there’s the history of it all. If we all think back to our school days there were some very influential teachers about with lots of life experiences, nowadays the teachers are very young and short on any life skills coming straight from uni. Please do not get me wrong there are some very good teachers but few and far between. Roudy school children soon dampen any enthusiasm. Maybe your boy will, with the good guidance and interest you appear to have will help him immensely.

• Like 1