Toby Martyn

nigel dabster

5 hours ago, nhuskys said:

Don't forget a TrialGP rider and a Trial2 rider count for Manufacturers Championship. Having a good rider in Trial2 is important to factories now,

this is surely the only reason. He had a great relationship with HRC and the mechanics worked on his special bike after Bou and fuji.

I know we say it most years, recently, but fujis days are numbered, and a spot in this team is better?

On 05/11/2018 at 11:22 AM, heffergm said:

Because they'd rather see him win a T2 championship at the world level while he continues to progress?

You guys need to stop seeing T2 as a necessary evil on the way to GP and instead as a worthwhile championship to win in its own right.  

to progress you need to push yourself, ive spoken to wtc riders first hand and both agreed another year in t2 (or junior as was) is a year less to understand/realise what its like to ride in the top route.

Everyone knows, even the Italians, that Toby won the class so i cant see the reason to stay, to progress you must compete at the highest level you can, and he can manage gp for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

this is surely the only reason. He had a great relationship with HRC and the mechanics worked on his special bike after Bou and fuji.

I know we say it most years, recently, but fujis days are numbered, and a spot in this team is better?

If Honda thought Toby was the future, maybe they would have tried harder to keep him? I think it has become clearer that Repsol would prefer a Spanish rider, and Honda would prefer a Japanese rider.  Marcelli fits the bill and no young Japanese rising star of Fuji's caliber. It's Fuji and Bou for '19. Always the possibility that Busto will make a prodigal son's tearful return to HRC?

Toby was a Beta rider before, so a bit of a homecoming. Cabes can't have too many seasons left, so Toby rises.  Love Dibs, but he is just a solid top 10 guy, with a possible win when the stars align. He doesn't look like a World Champion in the making, at this point of his career. I'll keep an open mind though, as Fajardo was a big surprise this season!

Edited by nhuskys

I feel like too much is being read into this. I’d imagine Beta have no vacancy for new Trial GP riders at the moment, being committed to Dabill and Cabes. Perhaps RG didn’t want to/couldn’t renew Toby’s contract (maybe some conflict of interest with Matteo being Trial 2 champ), or perhaps he just got a good offer from Beta. Either way, he’s probably not moved up because there isn’t a team who are looking to field another Trial GP rider right now.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 1:16 PM, nhuskys said:

If Honda thought Toby was the future, maybe they would have tried harder to keep him? I think it has become clearer that Repsol would prefer a Spanish rider, and Honda would prefer a Japanese rider.  Marcelli fits the bill and no young Japanese rising star of Fuji's caliber. It's Fuji and Bou for '19. Always the possibility that Busto will make a prodigal son's tearful return to HRC?

Toby was a Beta rider before, so a bit of a homecoming. Cabes can't have too many seasons left, so Toby rises.  Love Dibs, but he is just a solid top 10 guy, with a possible win when the stars align. He doesn't look like a World Champion in the making, at this point of his career. I'll keep an open mind though, as Fajardo was a big surprise this season!

when gomez won, yes won the 2nd class he didnt have his contract renewed/offered chuff all so hrc have a track record of this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

when gomez won, yes won the 2nd class he didnt have his contract renewed/offered chuff all so hrc have a track record of this.

Alfredo has probably benefited from hrc's lack of vision ?

• 1 year later...