Front wheel bearings for Tech Fork

drca

I scored a complete Tech Fork setup for a reasonable price to replace my Marzocchi (which has scratched and bent tubes...) on my 2013 TXT Pro.  The setup comes complete with the fork, axle and triple clamp.

The front wheel axle on the Tech is 20mm vs 25mm on the Marzocchi.  I assume the front hub on the Gas Gas are the same whether they are used on the Tech of Zooch and only the bearings and spacer change (and with the addition of a spacer on the brake rotor). 

From what I have seen on the 2013 TXT Factory Replica Gas Gas part list (which has the Tech fork), the front bearings part number is C160001 which look like 6004-2RS (20 x 42 x 12).  Which would mean, again if the hubs are the same, that they will stick out of the hub by 3mm on each side (the bearings for the Zooch are 25 x 42 x 9). 

The only other alternative that would fit are the 98204Y-2RS (20 x 42 x 9), which are hard to find and rather pricey!

So I was wondering if anyone could confirm:

1) That the hubs are the same for a Tech and a Marzocchi fork?

2) What bearings are used for the Tech fork?

3) if the bearings are indeed 6004's AND the hub are the same that the bearings aren't flush with the hub and stick out 3mm.

Thanks.

DC

Just now, lineaway said:

Well you could look it up through the parts manual.

Yep, that's what I tried to explain (sorry I wasn't clear enough), but I can't find the part number for the hub only.  So I don't know if the hubs are the same.

I wont get chance to take a closer look until tomorrow (18 E4). I'm 99% sure they sat flush to the outer face of the hub when I changed them in a 17 E4 

Bearings fitted were: SKF - 6004 2RS BEARING - C3 - 20X42X12MM.

Could point to the hubs being m/c a little deeper to take the wider bearing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B20-157-Alternator-Bearing-Compatible-with-Mitsubishi-PFI-20x42x9mm/272382151055?epid=645265262&hash=item3f6b3dc98f:g:JbEAAOSwSYpZz41K:rk:1:pf:0 

There what you need if you've done a conversion from Marzocchi to tech unless you change or machine the hub to take a 12mm wide bearing then you could use 6004 

23 hours ago, wakka said:

I've done the change from Marzocchi to Tech, 3 years ago, new tech  axle right bearings to fit and made up both wheel spacers to fit and rides mint should have done it when Tech forks came out, injoy..

Great. Can you tell me what hub / bearings you used?

Left wheel spacer 19.57 mm long  step to inner bearing 8.45mm to fit tech wheel bearing  6905 DU

Right wheel spacer 12.39 mm long  step to inner bearing 9.24mm

hub inside spacer 73.58 mm long  outside spacer 30mm long

disc calp small spacers 3.82 wide od 14.97 mm 8mm hole 

yoke spacers 40mm forks turned down and made 39mm spacers forks snug fit spacers with a 3mm lip that stops them sliding down the fork and they stay there mint 

hope this helps  cheers Wakka NZ

13 hours ago, wakka said:

Left wheel spacer 19.57 mm long  step to inner bearing 8.45mm to fit tech wheel bearing  6905 DU

Right wheel spacer 12.39 mm long  step to inner bearing 9.24mm

hub inside spacer 73.58 mm long  outside spacer 30mm long

disc calp small spacers 3.82 wide od 14.97 mm 8mm hole 

yoke spacers 40mm forks turned down and made 39mm spacers forks snug fit spacers with a 3mm lip that stops them sliding down the fork and they stay there mint 

hope this helps  cheers Wakka NZ

Whoa, that's a lot of information, thanks!

So, it looks like you kept the hub the same as for the Marzocchi fork (with the 6905 bearing and internal spacer).

So if I get this right, you have some spacers do step down the ID of the bearings from the stock 25mm to the 20mm for the Tech axle.  What I am not sure is how these spacers fit.  Would you mind shooting me some photos?

The disc rotor spacers make sense (SplatShop sells a one piece unit) and for the triple clamp (yokes), mine came with a shinny set of CSP that fit the Tech fork.

Thanks again for all the help.

For those who are curious... I just weighted both the Tech and Marzocchi fork and here is what I got:

• Each assembly was with the fork, front axle, triple clamp, steering stem, bottom bearing, steering nuts. 
  • Triple clamp for the Tech are Costa Special Part units
  • The Marzocchi is the older model without the slimmer tubes in between the two triple clamps.

Tech - 5.72 Kg / 12.6 Lbs

Marzocchi - 7.6 Kg / 16.7 Lbs

So close to 2 Kg / 4 Lbs advantage to the Tech fork.  Not bad!

2018-10-31 18.31.54 (Custom).jpg

2018-10-31 18.32.01 (Custom).jpg

2018-10-31 18.32.39 (Custom).jpg

2018-10-31_18_32_44.jpg