Beta 4T Normal or Noisy?

mcman56

I have a 2016 300 4T with maybe 75 hours on it, almost 35 since valve adjustment.  It runs fine and starts easy.  On the last few rides, I noticed that the top end seems to be noisier than before.  Nothing sounds horrible but there is some "clitter clatter".  Probing the head area with a mechanics stethoscope, it seems a little louder at the cam chain tensioner.  Is this normal?  See the video.  It does seem to sound worse in the video than in person.  The deep sound that comes and goes is it quieting down a little when pulling in the clutch.  The engine was cold but I think it sounds the same hot.  If not normal, any ideas?    

https://youtu.be/gk9x64aulWQ

I pulled the tensioner out. Teeth look ok and spring has enough tension to push out the plunger when off the bike. When it was out, I tried pushing on the red guide.  It felt solid but I don’t know what it should feel like. 

It does sound much like a klx250 with bad tensioner I heard recently 

Wasn't there another forum string about this a few weeks ago? Maybe have a look back because your Beta 4T symptoms sound a lot like the other person's.

I've just added a link to the string. It started in 2012 but was active again a few weeks ago

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1

Does sound a bit rattle, as you have pulled the cam chain tensioner and confirmed it’s working the next move would be to re-set the valve clearances very carefully. The problem could be that the valve stem heads have worn. The noise is so regular that the cam chain may be the cause.The cam chain guides can wear as obviously can the actual chain. Don’t trust that tensioner it can look ok but the spring can go weak and there in lies the problem, re adjust the valve clearances and go from there. You can remove the camshaft and most of the valve operating gear without taking the engine out of the frame or removing the cylinder head it’s fiddling but doable?

I appreciate all of the input.  I did notice it oddly hard to kick over at least once. 

• I pulled the valve cover and see nothing obvious.  The decompressor spring does not look broken and the decompressor is free to rotate.  Surface finish of the decompressor shaft is not that great and looks like it was worked on with a file.  If it was stuck, I guess it is possible it got unstuck during disassembly.  
  • The spring force is very very weak but it is a tiny spring.  Locked in the TDC position, it feels like the weight of the lever looking part provides the force for returning.   
  • I can't rotate the cam so assume that means the cam chain is tight.  Looking down from the top I can see red guides are there but no detail. 
  • Cam sprocket feels bolted tight to gear. 
  • Rocker arms have some end play but otherwise feel tight.  Rollers that run on cam feel OK as does the little pieces that meet the valve stems.
  • I did not check clearances before pulling the valve cover but, by feel, nothing was grossly loose.
  • There were a couple of very tiny flakes on the magnetic drain plug.  Oil looked good.  Nothing was in the two plastic oil filters.     

Any other suggestions?  I'll look again but all I can think of is to loctite the gear to sprocket bolts, set the clearances and see what it sounds like before going deeper.

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2853.jpg

Did you set the valve clearances correctly? Were they done hot or cold? The cam chain tensioner spring can become weak even though it feels ok to you. The noise of your engine does sound very rhythmic as though it is tappet noise. I would go for resetting the valve clearances very carefully. Also fit a new tensioner and spring to be on the safe side. Follow the setting procedures for both from the manual. Keep us posted please.?

Clearances were spot on.  I rotated and looked at all parts of cam chain and it looked ok so I’m down to suspecting the  cam chain tensioner. I hear the tap/ sound at idle but when I bring rpms up slowly to mid range, the sound is less noticeable or goes away.

I put in a new tensioner today.  First it was noisier so I manually pressed on the plunger while rotating the engine a few times.  I reinstalled the spring and let it warm up.  I think it is 
OK but as you listen to noises in an engine you can start to hear (imagine?) all sorts of things and I don't have another to listen to..  I made another video with the microphone not as close and out of an echo area.  That specific noise is still there but it seems more in line with the other noises.  Even when it was louder it went away or blended in as the rpms were bought ut to mid range.  

The tensioner is a ratchet design and tightens in steps.  It seems logical it would get noisier as the chain wears but then quieter as the chain loosened enough for the tensioner to get out one more tooth.  That could explain the difference between two bikes.  The video is kind of vague because all you need to to to make it sound bad is turn up the volume.