New value for money GasGas

the dabster

10 minutes ago, the dabster said:

When someone buys a new bike at £6300 and keeps it six months and then wants to sell, he wants the trade in price to be based on the £6300 he paid not a dynamic sliding scale whereby  the residual value is all of a sudden £5000. It's profoundly unfair.

it is unfortunate but not unfair.  Nothing says life is fair.  You gave the dealer a grand margin on the new bike and they want a grand margin on the trade in.  Someone has to pay the business rates, electric bill, phone charges, broadband, advertising and so on (and it is you).  £6300 to 5k in a year sounds about right to me.  You'd lose a bit more on a BMW X5 :)

1 minute ago, ChrisCH said:

it is unfortunate but not unfair.  Nothing says life is fair.  You gave the dealer a grand margin on the new bike and they want a grand margin on the trade in.  Someone has to pay the business rates, electric bill, phone charges, broadband, advertising and so on (and it is you).  £6300 to 5k in a year sounds about right to me.  You'd lose a bit more on a BMW X5 :)

I know all about residual loss chris the last three cars I sold were Porsche 911's.  We are not talking percentages of loss or depreciation we are talking about an importer making a commercial move that ****s on everyone that ensured gasgas stayed in business in 2018 by buying their product, in order to bail himself out.  No other importer has done this to my knowledge.  Why would I buy gasgas again if I stand to lose more money when it comes to upgrade to the next year model in contrast to the other makes?

I'm always a bit confused by these arguments. If you walk into a dealer, he offers you what you consider a ridiculously low sum for your bike, you walk out, what's the problem? Capitalism is about voluntary exchanges of goods and services that benefit both parties. If you feel taking part in the transaction is net negative for you, you walk away. If enough people feel the same, the person trying to do business either needs to modify the terms such that people start to feel otherwise, or they go out of business, either because they can't monetarily work a deal that benefits everyone or because they're unwilling to do so. The market fixes all these problems itself based on demand and willingness of all parties to arrive at an agreement.

Edited by heffergm
  • Thanks 1

Just now, the dabster said:

Why would I buy gasgas again if I stand to lose more money when it comes to upgrade to the next year model in contrast to the other makes?

You wouldn't. And if enough people feel the same, guess what? Nobody buys GG's in your neck of the woods, and the market corrects the problem with an out of business importer.

Depends how you use the figures. New prices in the UK February 2018 today.

2018 300 Racing original UK price was £6250     (I am not using the £99 endings I've rounded up by a quid)

2018 300 Racing now is £5500, difference £750 

2019 300 Racing now is £6400 price increase £150 year on year

Reason UK pound value as much as anything going down against the Euro.

An importer into a major market is likely to be obliged to take X no of bikes, if he has some over, he is going to discount them eventually.

I personally bought a last year 300 Gasser that way and it was great for the average rider (me), I couldn't tell the difference to the next year one to ride, but I still had a brand new bike. 

I sold it for reasonable money so basically the importer had taken most of the hit not me.

If you want to sell for better money, try a private sale, ok I realise in Scotland distances are a hassle.

The fact a bike is new is more important than the minor annual differences overall. 

Keep up to date buying last years model every year - surely the Scottish (or Yorkshire) way! 

1 hour ago, micm said:

Depends how you use the figures. New prices in the UK February 2018 today.

2018 300 Racing original UK price was £6250     (I am not using the £99 endings I've rounded up by a quid)

2018 300 Racing now is £5500, difference £750 

2019 300 Racing now is £6400 price increase £150 year on year

Reason UK pound value as much as anything going down against the Euro.

An importer into a major market is likely to be obliged to take X no of bikes, if he has some over, he is going to discount them eventually.

I personally bought a last year 300 Gasser that way and it was great for the average rider (me), I couldn't tell the difference to the next year one to ride, but I still had a brand new bike. 

I sold it for reasonable money so basically the importer had taken most of the hit not me.

If you want to sell for better money, try a private sale, ok I realise in Scotland distances are a hassle.

The fact a bike is new is more important than the minor annual differences overall. 

Keep up to date buying last years model every year - surely the Scottish (or Yorkshire) way! 

none of the other importers can have any stock left over because no other importer is advertising brand new bikes at slashed prices. there's no way I can accept anything other than it's poor form.