Ssdt Means One Trashed Bike?

gasgas

Is it true that you trash a brand new bike in just one SSDT, or are there trialist who get away with it?

Several dutch rider who, in the far past :) , did the ssdt mentioned this.

I can see why it isn't that nice for a trials bike to do 200km for 6 days.

Haven seen my Pro's gear box i can state it isn't made for 1200km hard labour.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikes that just do club trials are often in a worse state, especially if its some of the younger end with a father who isn't that keen on maintenance!

If you treat the bike well it will stand it. My 04 pro did 2 ssdt without a problem. I did break the top hat(gear selector part) on a rock but that can happen anywhere and was fixed in 10mins.

Just make sure you put it into gear, not kick it in!!

Overheating can be a problem on any bike in Scotland but if you check the radiator before the road work and check the fan is working it shouldn't trouble you.

After the event check all bearings etc for play, repack exhaust and tidy up plastics etc and its no worse than any other bike. The type of people who do the Ssdt do tend to look after their bikes. There are exceptions though!

Mark T

I've done the SSDT on 2 Pro's & never had a problem with either. I'd agree with Timp that if you look after your bike it'll last no problem. If you change gear with a left foot like a sledge hammer & flog your bike senseless down the road it's not going to last & that goes for any make. A big float valve in the carb & riding with the choke on down the road helps. I've just sold my 250 that I did last years trial on & with new bearings for all the cycle parts it was as good if not better than most lads bikes that have had a year of little care & maintainence doing club trials.

Oke guys, i believe you. And i was not so much as trying to question my pro's gearbox as i was questioning everybodies gearbox :hyper:

So it is depending on one man's love for his bike that will keep it from trashing.

And yes yr right, some people just don't have a clue how to look after their bikes. :hyper:

But i won't say that a bike will be getting any better of a ssdt :) , will they?

I think it is safe to say, that you better open up yr engine and do some pre checks, like bearings etc before you attempt a ssdt on a older bike?

How many percent is rding the ssdt on a older bike?

:hyper: Oops i just realise that there is a pre 65 class, isn't there?

There is a well known rider from the Bon Accord Club in Aberdeen has finished several SSDT's (dont know the exact number but its closer to 7 than 5!) on a TYZ yamaha which he regularly rides in club and National trials. He has all faith in that bike finishing each year - and each trial he rides in.

Then again I guess a Gas Gas aint buit to last is it!

There is a well known rider from the Bon Accord Club in Aberdeen has finished several SSDT's (dont know the exact number but its closer to 7 than 5!) on a TYZ yamaha which he regularly rides in club and National trials.  He has all faith in that bike finishing each year - and each trial he rides in.

You mean this one? :)

IMG_8630.JPG

You mean this one? wink.gif

Yup thats the one!

They dont make them like that anymore - I wonder how many Gas Gas / Beta / Sherco bikes said gentleman would have gone through in the time he has owned that bike?

That will be Duncan Mitchell then. Rode around with him some of the time in 03 when I was on my TYZ and again a bit last year. He's a right character and was chuffed to bits when he was pictured on Todotrial last year.

I remember how soft and smooth the motor sounded. It reminded me of how my '98 Z sounded after I'd had it ported by Nigel Birkett and I asked him if he'd had his done too. Och no he said, that's just half a dozen SSDTs have softened it a little, it's still on the original rings...

That will be Duncan Mitchell then.

That's the fella that found me upside down and unconcious in a ditch last year. He woke me up and asked what happened. He p****d himself laughing when I told him that I had gone over the bars, as we were going uphill on a steepish track to the group of sections before the Clunes moor crossing :D

Thanks again Duncan ;)

Edited by Kinell

Beware of that 'almost new' bike up for sale that is advertised as ONLY USED FOR ONE TRIAL tongue.gif blink.gif

Thing is Duncan is highly unlikley to sell his bike! - then again why sell a bike which runs well?

At a club trial a couple of years ago he had 4 punctures in a rear wheel, the tyre was tired after the Scottish and did not like the nature of the rock it was riding on.

Be honest how many of you would bother 2 fix four punctures on one day in a trial and still finish - winning his class.

Thing is Duncan is highly unlikley to sell his bike! - then again why sell a bike which runs well?

Don't be so sure :D I just lost an e-bay auction to Duncan for a 99 TYZ, perhaps he's going for an upgrade this year :blink:

Hope he's pleased with the bike, it looked a good un. :blink:;)