road legal junk on new 300 txt racing

robson

4 hours ago, robson said:

Who pays for that s@#$t

Anyone who wants an MOT to do trials that includes going on the road between sections, anyone who wants an MOT on their bike so they can have normal insurance, anyone who uses a trials bike for farm work, anyone who practices trials on green lanes or other public rights of way and doesn't want their bike seized by NIMBY ordained police, anyone who wants to use their trials bike to commute when there's lots of snow (that was my favourite).  There's probably more reasons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

but you cannot do sections with that s@#$t on so what's the point...

really, what's the point of including in homologated version of trial bike indicators and mirrors....when there is not even seat in stock version.

Or big, low hanging number plate...

nothing more then money and idiotic regulation in stupid EU.    

Edited by robson

There is no requirement for type approval for competition motorcycles in the EU or in the UK.  Any road apparatus is solely the idea of the manufacturer.  To be road legal the vehicle requires a speedometer and I did not see one in the OP photo.

For road vehicles the UK has introduced new type approvals from January thus increasing the cost and red tape required to put a vehicle on the road in the UK.  This moronic legislation is so stupid there are different requirements for Northern Ireland, so two schemes for one country.  The UK is now so insane that if it was a person it would be institutionalised.

Thankfully the type approval schedule for motorcycles is not yet operational, so it is only for cars and vans as of 2024, with trailers the following year.  If you are looking to buy a bike trailer they will probably go up in price in 2025 unless we have a new government that scraps this nonsense by then.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, robson said:

BTW after connecting new wire harness I left with two free micro plugs, one is single wire pink and the other duo wire red/green-yellow. Is it fine?

Anybody know what are they for? 

yes thats fine :)

2 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Any road apparatus is solely the idea of the manufacturer.

In Europe people use trials bikes on the road (many, maybe even most, have never seen a competition), and they do need this equipment to pass roadworthiness tests.  Bikes that don't come with a full road kit are worth a lot less here ... but we don't need to have a speedo, that's a British thing as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

In Europe people use trials bikes on the road (many, maybe even most, have never seen a competition), and they do need this equipment to pass roadworthiness tests.  Bikes that don't come with a full road kit are worth a lot less here ... but we don't need to have a speedo, that's a British thing as far as I can tell.

OK.  Thanks for the info.  I didn't know about the speedo.  I know you are in Spain, but I have never heard of people using trials bikes in France (we are in Montpellier).  The main "off road" thing seems to be quad bikes.  (I hate them).  I know you need to take a trials bike on the road in some circumstances and so they are road legal but fitting indicators seems a bit daft to me.  French rules require third party insurance but there is no test there (MOT type test) for bikes.

The main PITA is the number plate.  The UK spec. is huge and stupid on any off road bike.  I have seen quite a few of the small plates in France (I assume they are illegal) on road bikes - not so common here in UK these days.  Small ones on mopeds in a lot of countries - can we have them on trials bikes please?

there is a speedo on the picture, In US there are much less restrictive requirements for off-road vehicles to get road legalization, 

EU is plain stupid, why I need 2 big mirrors, separate carburetor, big indicators, big lamp etc for occasional road crossing????

I just wasted 30 minutes taking off the forks glued on stupid reflective lights...

2 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

OK.  Thanks for the info.  I didn't know about the speedo.  I know you are in Spain, but I have never heard of people using trials bikes in France (we are in Montpellier).  The main "off road" thing seems to be quad bikes.  (I hate them).  I know you need to take a trials bike on the road in some circumstances and so they are road legal but fitting indicators seems a bit daft to me.  French rules require third party insurance but there is no test there (MOT type test) for bikes.

Quads are handy for going to the shops, but they can't make it up the old donkey trails here, it's hard enduro country (and for those like me who aren't Graham Jarvis, it's trials bike country, lol).

As for the EU, I work in safety testing and all these "stupid" regulations *over all* save people's lives.  Complaining about spending a few minutes taking some bits off seems a little trivial by comparison.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

As for the EU, I work in safety testing and all these "stupid" regulations *over all* save people's lives.  Complaining about spending a few minutes taking some bits off seems a little trivial by comparison.

A lot of people still want to lie that it is the problem when it is not.  The scapegoat utility of it was lost when we left, but old habits die hard.  Like all big institutions it makes mistakes and gets things wrong, but logic will tell you that this is a Gas-Gas thing and since no other make comes with it, so nothing to do with any regulatory authority whatsoever.

It may have been there for some sort of homologation process that had to be passed on all production models then, or maybe they had an overrun of the domestic market version and it was easier to just ship them with the road kit.  If it weren't for the import taxes it'd be worth selling the extras over here, lol

Edited by turbofurball

21 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

Interestingly I just looked on their website and the new (2023) models do not have any of the junk fitted. 

cause they always show ready to race version, otherwise bike would look ridiculous...

same with KTM, Sherco, Beta etc

Edited by robson