Sherco,now Desperate!

gasgasssser

Hi all, :P

Some of you regular Viewers(?)will know that i have been having problems with my sherco `04 290.The persisting problem is a that it doesnt rev cleanly at lower revs,and the tick over is a bit rough.Open the throttle she will pick up ,then eventually run smooth.

I`ve put a new stator on,tried my mates coil,his carb and his fly wheel,different plugs.Nothing will cure it.Its also on super unleaded as recomended,with the correct oil mix.It does seem better with the choke on,so i played around with mixture screw....still the same

What can be causing this :blink:

Steve

if it runs better with choke then its almost certainly an air leak most likely any where in the carb to engine assembly

rather than spend the rest of your life looking for it strip the lot down clean it up (gaskets and mountings) so they are perfect

replace any suspect gasket/ rubbers and re assemble with care, if that doesnt cure it at least thats one more thing off the list

:P If you say you have tried your mates carb and electrics :blink: then I think you must be looking at a reed problem or a crankcase air leak...Just trying to narrow things down will save you a lot of work and some sanity .(This is from experience, I know, these sort of faults can boil your ****)

Examine the the rubber bit[technical term]between the carb and engine for a hole or split that will allow air in,Does the plug come out a white/light grey colour signifying a weak mixture.I assume the jetting is correct,if so the mixture screw wants to be about 3 turns out.Good luck

i`ve been told that it could indeed be the crankseal on the ignition side.If the other side goes it apparently blows smoke out, or spits oil out of the breather.Its not doing any of these,so i am going to attemp changing the seal.

Its quite a simple job i`m told,screw some self tappers into the seal,then draw it out.Then oil the new on up and ease it in.

Is it really that simmple?has any of you boys done this job

Cheers

Steve

just done the crank seals on my scorpa and yes it is that simple once you`ve pulled the flywheel! may well need some special tools but when you get there the self tapping screw method is one I used and is very effective. Be carefull when putting the new seal in that it goes in straight/square

If you can have it running, spray some WD40 or water or something in the seal area in question. The engine should change sound up or down.

Granted its easy to change the seal, but its nice to verify ahead of time that it is indeed a problem.

kcj

Thanks for all the replys.I`l do the wd40 thing first.Hopefully thats where the problem might be,although i have visually checked this area before.If not then its got to be the seal.

Watch this space! :blink:

PS, nigel,Yes i completly stripped the carb and gave it the compressed air treatment.I`m as sure as i can be that the carb is not causing the problem,and cheers for the offer of the reeds,but i swapped them with the other bike so i know they are ok.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by gasgasssser