Fire and Water damaged 2021 Montesa 4RT

Nigelpugh

Hi guys, 

Sadly we has a fire at our house last week and my Montesa 4RT suffered some fire, smoke and water damage.

It’s not insured regrettably so I have to see if I can get it up and running again. 

The heat and fire damage seems to have affected a few plastics like the rear mudguard and also killed the rear tyre too.

However at this point I also can’t get it to start at all, so I’ve been trying to work out what’s wrong in a step by step fault finding basis.

The first thing we noticed was that the throttle cable was stiff and stuck and not returning to its home position.

We have now removed that and will order a new one.

The bike is still not starting though, so we pulled the plug out and it’s not sparking at all on kick over.

We did notice that the jitsie magnetic kill pull looked like the cables might have melted., so tried unplugging that and shorting the ignition feed.

Still no spark.

So what’s the best next steps to fault find why we don’t have a spark. 

Thanks for any tips or pointers! 

Considering it was hot enough to toast a tire and fender, I would check for melted wires shorting on the frame or other chassis component first thing if you don't see spark.  Possible it could have caused an issue by melting something inside the ECU on the throttle body as well, however wire harness issues would be my first check.

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Considering it was hot enough to toast a tire and fender, I would check for melted wires shorting on the frame or other chassis component first thing if you don't see spark.  Possible it could have caused an issue by melting something inside the ECU on the throttle body as well, however wire harness issues would be my first check.

Good luck. 

Thanks I will have a good luck at the other wires on the rest of the loom today.

It looks like we are still getting power, because when we kick the engine over the front LED lights up for a brief amount of time.

I assume it more common for the low voltage cables to have issues rather than the high voltage output side of the coil pack?

Edited by Nigelpugh
Spelling.

19 hours ago, Nigelpugh said:

Hi guys, 

Sadly we has a fire at our house last week and my Montesa 4RT suffered some fire, smoke and water damage.

It’s not insured regrettably so I have to see if I can get it up and running again. 

The heat and fire damage seems to have affected a few plastics like the rear mudguard and also killed the rear tyre too.

However at this point I also can’t get it to start at all, so I’ve been trying to work out what’s wrong in a step by step fault finding basis.

The first thing we noticed was that the throttle cable was stiff and stuck and not returning to its home position.

The bike is still not starting though, so we pulled the plug out and it’s not sparking at all on kick over.

We did notice that the jitsie magnetic kill pull looked like the cables might have melted., so tried unplugging that and shorting the ignition feed.

Still no spark.

Update and thanks for the response to others too.

It was indeed the melted cables on the jitsie magnetic cut out, it looked like one of them was shorting to the handlebar hence making the ignition cut out.

Disconnected it and removed it completely and when we put the plug back in it fired up straight away.

We will get the cable ordered now and start on the rest of the mostly cosmetic damage to get it back to normal. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lemur said:

Does the tip over sensor appear damaged?  It's located back there close to the rear fender and tire, plus it can definitely stop the engine from running.

The bank angle thingy? Nope that was one of the first things I looked at, and it seems fine.

Anyway as posted it was indeed the kill switch , and it’s running again now! 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, Nigelpugh said:

Hi guys, 

Still no spark.

Update and thanks for the response to others too.

It was indeed the melted cables on the jitsie magnetic cut out, it looked like one of them was shorting to the handlebar hence making the ignition cut out.

Disconnected it and removed it completely and when we put the plug back in it fired up straight away.

We will get the cable ordered now and start on the rest of the mostly cosmetic damage to get it back to normal. 

Thanks again. 

So I’ve ordered a new rear tyre, a rear mudguard, a new kill switch and a new throttle cable, they should be delivered Friday, so I can fit most bits at the weekend. 

I will post some pictures of rhe work as I do each section. 

• Like 1

My new parts arrived yesterday, so I will make a start on fitting them today.

I still think the hardest part to install will be the throttle cable.

I have still not managed to remove the old damaged one, as it looks like I will either have to twist or remove the whole of the EFI throttle body to remove and refit the new cable,

Any tips on removing and replacing the throttle cable guys?

IMG_5699.jpeg

IMG_5700.jpeg

IMG_5701.jpeg

IMG_5702.jpeg

IMG_5703.jpeg

IMG_5704.jpeg

IMG_5705.jpeg

• Like 2

Throttle cable replacement is best with the throttle body off the bike. Since you have a lot of the bike apart, you’re nearly there. Remove the silencer mounting bolt from the air box and the 2x 10mm nuts and 10mm bolt the air box will be almost free. The petrol tank will need lifting too. 

There is a lot of rubber pipe work running from the cylinder head breather to the air box, all this can be removed. Just blank the hole in the air box and use some of the grey pipe to make a new head breather that runs down the side of the radiator on to the sump guard. A little weight saved and much neater under the petrol tank. 

Make a note of where the lock nut is on the cable, undo the cable from the throttle body by turning the body. Fit the new cable to the body and tighten the lock nut in the same position as the old one. 

It takes a little patience in getting the new cable routed under the tank so it does not pull the cable when the steering is turned, particularly to the right

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 2:23 PM, jrsunt said:

Throttle cable replacement is best with the throttle body off the bike. Since you have a lot of the bike apart, you’re nearly there. Remove the silencer mounting bolt from the air box and the 2x 10mm nuts and 10mm bolt the air box will be almost free. The petrol tank will need lifting too. 

There is a lot of rubber pipe work running from the cylinder head breather to the air box, all this can be removed. Just blank the hole in the air box and use some of the grey pipe to make a new head breather that runs down the side of the radiator on to the sump guard. A little weight saved and much neater under the petrol tank. 

Make a note of where the lock nut is on the cable, undo the cable from the throttle body by turning the body. Fit the new cable to the body and tighten the lock nut in the same position as the old one. 

It takes a little patience in getting the new cable routed under the tank so it does not pull the cable when the steering is turned, particularly to the right

Thanks for that info bud, really helpful.

I didn’t get time to do any work on it at the weekend, might try later today.

Thanks again for the tips.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:32 AM, Nigelpugh said:

Thanks for that info bud, really helpful.

I didn’t get time to do any work on it at the weekend, might try later today.

Thanks again for the tips.

I’ve made a start on it today. As you said much easier with the throttle body off the bike.

Found lots of dirt in hidden areas so decided to clean the throttle body and air box fully whilst off the bike.

IMG_5755.thumb.jpeg.1b367064147a769077eaac636ea89043.jpegIMG_5749.thumb.jpeg.a629f5130870aaab15abb83fdefe7b39.jpegIMG_5750.thumb.jpeg.b160096e1b69548431d1239d9c9a7dd2.jpegIMG_5751.thumb.jpeg.89a1d90cadd0c5b8e2ab212db3eb34cb.jpegIMG_5752.thumb.jpeg.c9ca93d27976d8117d3b63bda0b85871.jpegIMG_5753.thumb.jpeg.63651c7e1b91d9892c026dc301b30fe1.jpegIMG_5754.thumb.jpeg.75fe5bf1894997ac047dd68efd742482.jpegIMG_5756.thumb.jpeg.396c1acd1bbeac76d1a9b4139da5ad2e.jpegIMG_5757.thumb.jpeg.d005e4c3dc5eefbb4870ebf321d92657.jpegIMG_5758.thumb.jpeg.49dd52be82628bc005b0d0c2c7d5685a.jpegIMG_5759.thumb.jpeg.7e401b2c99e8d1bcde5daf0a781b7bf6.jpegIMG_5761.thumb.jpeg.d86059f60c4c8cf668944a3013d3f954.jpegIMG_5760.thumb.jpeg.e318c971a53edb30dbf301f95e3b511a.jpegIMG_5762.thumb.jpeg.9537f07a4bacbdc5a4264f3e5325c32b.jpegIMG_5763.thumb.jpeg.b089b2ca78523dadadfd6db70e5b68e2.jpegIMG_5764.thumb.jpeg.1eb79bde5686fa9537e65e6f04c78e8e.jpegIMG_5765.thumb.jpeg.068e08e5b6b9b0371b1db438f43dc348.jpegIMG_5766.thumb.jpeg.189f4069e3551fb6ef2aab791bc9c57e.jpegIMG_5767.thumb.jpeg.0072cc073eda72103f8f2c619b79b976.jpegIMG_5768.thumb.jpeg.421a5666b87d98517817195987161144.jpegIMG_5769.thumb.jpeg.4e475d9c687e0c5f154bd31f7d58e47f.jpegIMG_5770.thumb.jpeg.d3c8c43413bd317d5a2aeaaff5240dcf.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, majesty said:

Nice job Nigel.

Well done.

Cheers Bud!

I did mostly finish all the jobs yesterday, just need to fit the new rear tyre next.

Seems to be running very sweetly now to.

I suspect that the throttle cable was not that good for quite some time before the fire too.

IMG_5774.thumb.jpeg.00b86ceb4b573ad6a87919da4e309c7e.jpegIMG_5775.thumb.jpeg.f90f0be1e4906e66a7f79aafc00172f2.jpegIMG_5778.thumb.jpeg.cf8f245aadebc0b8269b4b6710524b55.jpegIMG_5781.thumb.jpeg.72ac67fb972518a6c8530a5ecbedbe46.jpegIMG_5782.thumb.jpeg.d393661350a0a253ead14dec801dd7af.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, gontierbat said:

sounds like you're taking a methodical approach to troubleshooting the issues with your bike, starting with addressing the visible damage to the plastics and the rear tire

ordering a new throttle cable is a good call, as a stiff and stuck cable could definitely cause starting problems.

Thanks for the comments bud.

Looks like I forgot to update the current status.

It’s pretty much complete now.

Let me dig out the latest pictures.