Should I Stick to a TXT 300 Pro (2001 older) or eventually get something lower cc?

Hey all, so new trials rider here, but an average enduro rider you can say. Nothng special. I did trials for a bit, but stopped, then now started again. Probably 3 months of trials riding all together. Mostly learning to get over "trail obstacles" I know nothing of fundamentals, learning static balancing

Not sure if I should just stick to this older 300 and all I need to progress, or soon enough I should look for a new trials. My biggest thing is E start haha. Sometimes I get into some nasty terrain to play in and makes it difficult to kick start due to the pitch

Not sure if 125, 200 or 250... 2 stroke 4 stroke etc

I think it would depend on how old you are,  how physically fit you are and most importantly how much money you intend to spend along with how easy it is to get the bike you want in the area/Country that you live in ?

• Thanks 1

You dont say if you find your 300 too powerful. Given the age, its probably equivalent to a newish 250 regarding power. Depends what your intentions are. If its to do tight technical stuff id say keep it small, 250. If you want to ride it more like a trail bike, a montesa would maybe suit better. Getting a more modern bike will benefit you most with its lighter weight when it comes to hopping the bike around. Doesnt sound like you are at that stage yet. Will a new bike help? Yes, but for general riding around, clubman level riding and below, not that much

Edited by faussy

Love the electric start 300 myself, I ride it almost exclusively in third gear and it pulls incredible strong at low rpm Montesa is a better winter stud bike for sure.  Key to advance your skills and motivate yourself to ride lots is to have others to ride with, preferably better riders than yourself plus a good venue.  You will want a ride at least new enough to have 4 pot front brake or upgrade to that and keep everything well serviced as possible, the bike needs to run perfect for you to concentrate on developing riding skills.  imho smaller displacement machines can actually be more difficult to ride because I have to put more effort into basically everything I do on it.  

If your leaning to E-Start then I would lean to a TRS 250 as most people really don't need 300's.  Gas Gas's are known for being harder to start in general.  Even my daughters 125 Gas Gas was harder for me to start when cold than my Montesa 300 RR (not harder to kick over but to get started, especially when cold). 

I know its opinion and having my bias to Montesa's would get another in a snap if I was after an upgrade as I find them great on a trail and at the club events myself.  They do have there disadvantages however so are not for everyone. 

Good luck deciding what to get. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, faussy said:

You dont say if you find your 300 too powerful. Given the age, its probably equivalent to a newish 250 regarding power. Depends what your intentions are. If its to do tight technical stuff id say keep it small, 250. If you want to ride it more like a trail bike, a montesa would maybe suit better. Getting a more modern bike will benefit you most with its lighter weight when it comes to hopping the bike around. Doesnt sound like you are at that stage yet. Will a new bike help? Yes, but for general riding around, clubman level riding and below, not that much

Thank you for everyones feedback! Sorry I was at work. So, for normal trail riding, not at all. Slow technical, using clutch to pop my tires at a standstill, yes. Now I am not sure if I will feel that way with any trials bike since the front comes up way easier than an enduro bike. Only reason I bought a 300 TXT was the cost, got it for about $1500. 

I am 40 years old, and weigh about 200 lbs without gear but ride in about 6k feet elevation. definitely a super entry level trials rider ha ha

Have a quick question, a Montesa been seeing those with a seat?

17 hours ago, dirtrider86 said:

Thank you for everyones feedback! Sorry I was at work. So, for normal trail riding, not at all. Slow technical, using clutch to pop my tires at a standstill, yes. Now I am not sure if I will feel that way with any trials bike since the front comes up way easier than an enduro bike. Only reason I bought a 300 TXT was the cost, got it for about $1500. 

I am 40 years old, and weigh about 200 lbs without gear but ride in about 6k feet elevation. definitely a super entry level trials rider ha ha

Have a quick question, a Montesa been seeing those with a seat?

Montesa's don't come with a seat by default in most places, however they can be found if you want one and are willing to look around for them.  The catch is depending on your location it maybe hard to get one though. 

Edited by jonnyc21

Putting a seat on a trials bike is like putting an anchor on an airplane, it will cost you lots and buy you nothing.  If you put a seat on a trials bike you will ride it the same as you rode the enduro bike and learn nothing about trials riding.  Seen this happen many times in the last 2 years with many new trials riders coming off enduro bikes.  There is no place for a saddle on a trials bike, it's a stand up machine. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 9:43 AM, lemur said:

Putting a seat on a trials bike is like putting an anchor on an airplane, it will cost you lots and buy you nothing.  If you put a seat on a trials bike you will ride it the same as you rode the enduro bike and learn nothing about trials riding.  Seen this happen many times in the last 2 years with many new trials riders coming off enduro bikes.  There is no place for a saddle on a trials bike, it's a stand up machine. 

Thank you! So, it was just to get to my destination. Lower back starts hurting on my way to the play spot. I can "somewhat" sit on the curve part on the trials ha ha but my plan was just to take it off when I get there. Perhaps I will get used to it, but im not trying to trail ride with the trials, i actually want to learn, the tight turns, the balance, the slow maneuvaering, etc. It seems like a lot of fun. 

See how you get on with it! Try somebody  else's to see what you may prefer, my opinion would be a 250cc.  So there's a bit of personal choice what you feel comfortable on and what you enjoy riding. That's what it's all about!