2024 Mecatecno Dragonfly

ric h

Finally picked up my Dragonfly. At 71 I'm having trouble with the kickstart, so electric is the way to go. I think this bike is going to be a game changer. 

This site should make a subforum. I'm sure there are others. 

17129306270164062422043863784316.jpg

17129306649774316822478121516412.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ric h said:

Finally picked up my Dragonfly. At 71 I'm having trouble with the kickstart, so electric is the way to go. I think this bike is going to be a game changer. 

This site should make a subforum. I'm sure there are others. 

17129306270164062422043863784316.jpg

17129306649774316822478121516412.jpg

i dont think there will be many , Trials riders are known to be a bit shy when it comes to spending money. I wish I had the money for one , the weight of them is the big draw . Enjoy it  and buy yourself an AIROH helmet to go with it or you will keep falling over to one side or the other.

• Thanks 1

The Mecatecno is an amazing bike. Unfortunately at the moment I can't justify the upgrade cost from my present EM, but I would almost certainly go for it if I could. "Almost" because I would also test a '24 EM before making the final decision.

Yes, Mecatecno definitely needs a sub-forum on here as I posted about a year ago, but nothing has happened yet. Xispa has it's own sub-forum and I've never even seen one!

• Thanks 1

Has anyone done any big rocks on it?  The Mecatecno T14 was great for 6-8 yr olds (once the forks were changed),  but as soon as the kids started hitting bigger steps and drops, the rear shock mountings gave way.  Had to weld in extra plate to strengthen it.

On 4/12/2024 at 3:04 PM, ric h said:

I'm having trouble with the kickstart, so electric is the way to go.

Not necessarily. The TRRS with an electric start means you don't ususlly generally use the kickstart, and sorry, but 71 is nothing!  I have had three e-start TRRSs so far and the starting has been 100% reliable. You don't have to change to a machine with dubious behaviour in slippery conditions and steep depreciation. Otherwise yes a Mechatecno is a marvel but at £10,000 ?  

On 4/12/2024 at 12:31 PM, trapezeartist said:

Yes, Mecatecno definitely needs a sub-forum on here as I posted about a year ago, but nothing has happened yet. Xispa has it's own sub-forum and I've never even seen one!

I think @Andy may have moved on to other endeavors. It has been a long time since I have seen any activity by him.

I am not sure how often this site is monitored by him anymore.

Regarding the steep deprecation, Mecatecno has a "radically different sales philosophy" than Electric Motion. At least privately, Mecatecno is claiming that it will always be possible to update the electronics and every part and accessory. They feel this is key to their approach and a strong sales argument to share. I guess we will see what the future holds.

For those that have put some time on them.

What have you done to prep them for wet weather? The wires going into the left sidecase look a little vulnerable.

Dielectric grease anywhere?

On 4/16/2024 at 6:46 PM, trapezeartist said:

Regarding dubious behaviour in slippery conditions, the owners say the grip is fabulous. There's something about electric, because the EM grips well too.

I disagree. I had the use of a brand new EM Pure model with clutch and tickover (and new tyres) for over 6 months and in my opinion it was very difficult to control in hilly wooded slippery conditions in the South of England. This was in direct comparison to my normal bike a 300 TRRS over the same ground. The EM was much harder to ride. It needs traction control, they spin up far too easily if the back wheel goes over a bump or tree root and the engine is under load. They are fine in the dry but I would never go near one in wet slippery conditions, especially downhill in woodland. Indeed downhill the additional weight was also very noticeable. They have their place I'm sure and probably a Mecatecno is better in this respect but I have only ridden one round a car park.  They are so much lighter than EMs, but both are too expensive at present IMHO. I question spares availibility. Just give me a second

22 hours ago, micm said:

I disagree. I had the use of a brand new EM Pure model with clutch and tickover (and new tyres) for over 6 months and in my opinion it was very difficult to control in hilly wooded slippery conditions in the South of England. This was in direct comparison to my normal bike a 300 TRRS over the same ground. The EM was much harder to ride. It needs traction control...

The EM has traction control on most the new models.

https://trialworld.es/tienda-trial/en/productos-trial/2702-electric-motion-escape-2022-traction-control.html

On 4/17/2024 at 4:45 PM, ric h said:

For those that have put some time on them.

What have you done to prep them for wet weather? The wires going into the left sidecase look a little vulnerable.

Dielectric grease anywhere?

On my EM, I have dielectric grease around all the connectors that run along the top of the frame. And I've used silicone on the cover where the main power cables go into the motor. The only water problem I've had was when the primary drive breather sucked in a bit of water (and that was my fault for routing the breather too low).

• Like 1