Budget Trials Bike?

sectionone

Has any company produced a budget trials bike that costs about a third of let's say a Gas Gas? I'll bet an Asian company could do it and there would be a strong market for it. If you look at the progress of mountain bikes, they now make very inexpensive bikes with full suspension and disc brakes that copy the designs of the more expensive brands. They could make a TY-250 air-cooled mono knock-off with steel rims and such and have interchangeable TY parts for replacements and upgrades. I've heard of a Korean MX bike that copies a Honda.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of budjet do you think they could be produced for?

Just look at some of the 1 to 2 year old bargains that can be had on modern trials bikes.

They would have to be either very good or very cheap to be popular.

:blink: You seem to get what you pay for. These Chinese clones of Hondas are not going to be around in 5 let alone 10 years. On ebay you can buy a 125 trail bike for around 6 to 700 pound delivered to the door. Mini motos can be bought for 60 to 80 pounds. (A 2 wheeled 2 st powered motorcycle for an average days pay) As I say you get what you pay for. After a years use they look as if they have been through 10 years of constant winter. Although the engines are quite good in some 125s, but thats no use if the rest falls apart around you. Yes they could build them but they would be s***. Thanks.

Not sure exactly where the motor comes from in the Kondy, but the last pic I seen it looked like a nice beginner bike. But only 100cc!

I understand the manufacturers are afraid to produce a 2T copy motor due to regulatory stuff, and there is really not a GOOD 4T to copy.

Maybe the 200 Honda in a modern mono frame with decent brakes and suspension, and fuel injection!

Yea, thats the ticket! :blink:

Has any company produced a budget trials bike that costs about a third of let's say a Gas Gas? I'll bet an Asian company could do it and there would be a strong market for it. If you look at the progress of mountain bikes, they now make very inexpensive bikes with full suspension and disc brakes that copy the designs of the more expensive brands. They could make a TY-250 air-cooled mono knock-off with steel rims and such and have interchangeable TY parts for replacements and upgrades. I've heard of a Korean MX bike that copies a Honda.

If you want a bike for a third the price of a Gas Gas, buy second hand.There are plenty of tidy bikes in full working order for around

Edited by Beta120690

A lot of the top end mountain bikes are made in the far east....... (not far from Japan), the issue is material quality and manufacturing quality control. If you combine this with slave labour costs the end product is going to be cheaper than using 1st world labour costs.

If the number of units is sufficiently higher then it is cost effective to develop a new product moulds etc. Will this ever be the case with trials?

The real secret is material quality. I have to say some spanish factories have produced their fair share of rubbish.

Having said all that I have just purchase one of Halifax's finest an Orange 222!

there was a company that did what you said a few years ago now 95/96 i think,called rtx,they made a brand new bike for about 1300,needless to say the company didnt last long,people would rather just buy a few year old bike for the same price

there was a company that did what you said a few years ago now 95/96 i think,called rtx,they made a brand new bike for about 1300,needless to say the company didnt last long,people would rather just buy a few year old bike for the same price

Odd thing was, they were actually ok to ride! Even, dare I say it.... competitive in the right event.