Budget Trials Bike?

sectionone

Don't see anybody rushing to buy that Kehin replica. Thats the rub. If the Chinese try making a bike then it's going to be a "old" design. The Jailiangs are an XL125 copy and how old and heavy is that design? Only if they could transfer production to China would it make sense. Even then I would be very wary about any Chinese product you risk your neck on. One car maker in China has put a copy of the Frontera/Rodeo thru a EURO/NCAP test. You wouldn't have wanted to be in it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they have bought all the tools and jigs presses to build Montegos and Maestros, and they were c*** when they were built over here. Anything as long as they can make a few yen. Look at the price being paid for scrap metal and its down to theyre need for steel. Thanks :blink:

I was just looking at the classifieds and saw the pic of that nice 175 Scorpa 4stroke and it got me to thinking that if Scorpa/Yam could get together and produce that little bike at a reduced price, it would be the perfect entry level bike to attract new riders. Kinda the modern day TL125. Capable of riding right up to expert level if need be, but simple, practical and a straight forward little bike! Is anyone listening??

Might help a healthy influx of new rider's!! :blink:

Steve

It's difficult to justify buying a cheap bike when 1year old 'regular' trials bikes can be had for just over 2k.

Ofcourse we all would if they were of similar build quality and performance, but lets not kid ourselves.

50 years ago the same applied to the rough copies of british bikes coming from a little country called Japan.

the British bike industry claimed that they would never catch-on and kept producing 3 speed Bantams and leaking Nortons - the rest is history.

Mr. Clean.......dido that's how I bought my first bikes in the mid 70's and early 80's. Your the only sane one in this group. New trials bikes are insanely expensive and considering the lack of "break through technology" as compared to MX and Enduros they should be sold for much less. The manufacturers are taking advantage of the limited supply and manufacturers available. Also, with the Japanese brands not directly competing (because of low volumes) in this market the trials manuf. have a very easy time at ripping us off. Whoever said that replacement parts for trials bikes are cheap is daft. $50 bucks for a break pedal! $35 for a clutch lever! NUTS! and the tires.......lets not go there :blink: . The only thing cheap about trials seems to be the local entry fees.

$6,000+ for a new bike, that's just plane stupid!!! :o

Mr. Clean.......dido that's how I bought my first bikes in the mid 70's and early 80's. Your the only sane one in this group. New trials bikes are insanely expensive and considering the lack of "break through technology" as compared to MX and Enduros they should be sold for much less. The manufacturers are taking advantage of the limited supply and manufacturers available. Also, with the Japanese brands not directly competing (because of low volumes) in this market the trials manuf. have a very easy time at ripping us off. Whoever said that replacement parts for trials bikes are cheap is daft. $50 bucks for a break pedal! $35 for a clutch lever! NUTS! and the tires.......lets not go there :blink: . The only thing cheap about trials seems to be the local entry fees.

$6,000+ for a new bike, that's just plane stupid!!! :o

Good job there's one of us who is sane in that case.

You think tyres are expensive for trials bikes? Don't ever think of going road racing then!

Edited by scorpa3

Something like this could be the way to go:

Make this available at a reasonable price!

You think tyres are expensive for trials bikes? Don't ever think of going road racing then!

Not a chance I would spend that ridiculous kind of money on that sort of thing. Motorcycles prices period have all but gotten way out of hand.

Also look at the line up of bikes for North America from Japan today. Powerful crotch rockets, big cruisers, tall expensive MX bikes.

Compare to what was available in the 70's and 80's. Just a wee bit out of touch! For a road bike a Honda CB750F or Nighthawk would have been just great. Anything resembling that availble? NO!

I know a few people that have bought Triumphs and Guzzis because there was nothing new available on the Japanese showrooms that suited their tastes.

When the Japanese took over the bike market, they had nice enduros and road bikes of every size that were easy fun and reliable. Now is the perfect time for other manufacturers to fill a real market gap here. China could be doing it!

For prices on new bikes, take off the dollar figure, put on signs like "second mortgage" "arm" "leg" "firstborn" "soul" etc.

Edited by Mr Clean

You can again see the personallity clash between the young and old in this topic! but i`m sure if there was a big enough market for a cheap twinshock someone would make one, unfortuanatly however I don`t think this will ever happen unless there is a strange time warp?

The idea of a cheapo modern trials machine too me seems senseless mirrored by everyone elses comments about the life spam of such a machine! why bother you`d have too break the thing in and by then its worthless, or for the new price of said bike you could buy a just broke in bike and not worry about the re sale value!

Just my mid 20 opinion on this un :blink:

I run a Jai-ling (Honda) 200 engine in my bike which I got from Jon Bliss. So far so good.

Before I bought it did a bit of research, turned out up until quite recently, the jai-ling engine plant was officially called Jai-ling Honda Manufacturing - a joint venture in china with honda producing single cylinder motorcycle engines specifically "for export..."

I'm informed that the engine I have is "2nd generation" honda design with improvements such as roller bearings on the camshaft etc.... Not anywhere near as cutting edge as the current crop of high-tech 4 strokes but apparently the 'precision' & bearings bits come from honda Japan and things like outer casings, screws etc are sourced locally and then put together in a huge factory probably about 1 every 10 seconds... incidentally the sump drain plug must be locally manufactured as it cracked first time i tightened it up.... luckily I had 1 or 2 spare honda engines in the shed which I was able to swap it with....

And the cost....? brand new complete with CDI box, kickstart etc cheaper than anywhere I could find a secondhand TLR 200 lump....

I guess time will tell but for those that know me and may have seen me about.... its not fallen apart as yet, neither have any of Jon's bikes to my knowledge...

And, how long before the current generation of CRF, 4RT engines are sourced from there?

Andy

The idea of a cheapo modern trials machine too me seems senseless mirrored by everyone elses comments about the life spam of such a machine! why bother you`d have too break the thing in and by then its worthless, or for the new price of said bike you could buy a just broke in bike and not worry about the re sale value!

Just my mid 20 opinion on this un :o

Completely agree :blink: This was the point I were trying to make in my first post (after that I sort of wandered off track :o )

If you want a cheaper trials bike, buy second hand, a modern 2nd hand bike would probably be more than up to do job rather than the far-eastern copies people have mentioned in this topic.

It's difficult to justify buying a cheap bike when 1year old 'regular' trials bikes can be had for just over 2k.

Ofcourse we all would if they were of similar build quality and performance, but lets not kid ourselves.

Why are Gas Gas and Sherco sold after only one year - perhaps the owners know after a couple of years they are worn out?

Why are Gas Gas and Sherco sold after only one year - perhaps the owners know after a couple of years they are worn out?

I know a lot of people that go by the theory of it`s just as cost effective too trade in every year than too replace worn parts so if they were too sell privatley then buy new this would be even more cost effective no?

By the way this is not something I do nor can I afford too but I know it happens a lot