Jump to content

scifi

Whistles for Stopping

Recommended Posts

I recently rode a 'Stopping Allowed' trial, and was a bit peeved by having to wait whilst the previous riders juggled their bikes back and fro in the section.   Each of these riders had to my idea of the rules gone backwards several times, but were conning the observer into thinking they were still moving.    If the Observer had a Whistle, then the rider would know when to give up and leave the section.

There were so many riders still attempting the section, after what I saw as their back wheel having gone backwards.    Clubs should issue Whistles to all Observers at Stopping Allowed trials, so that there is no fudging of the rules.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stpauls said:

Never mind the whistles, ban no-stop trials.  End of issue.

Irrelevant rant. Nothing to do with no stop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stpauls said:

Never mind the whistles, ban no-stop trials.  End of issue.

I think the post is about the problem with stop allowed trials - so maybe you can explain what  point your trying to make???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

N o    m o r e    N o  -  s t o p    t r i a l s     =    e n d     o f    p r o b l e m.

Hope this is clearer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stpauls said:

N o    m o r e    N o  -  s t o p    t r i a l s     =    e n d     o f    p r o b l e m.

Hope this is clearer.

@stpauls Reread the original post, then explain wtf your talking about 💉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, b40rt said:

@stpauls Reread the original post, then explain wtf your talking about 💉

Blood pressure folks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2018 at 5:55 PM, stpauls said:

Never mind the whistles, ban no-stop trials.  End of issue.

I don't think stop-allowed or no-stop has any bearing. If there is a problem identifying the threshold between forward motion and stopped, there is a similar problem with the threshold between stopped and backward motion.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really the Whistle would be a good thing even in no-stop trials, as it lets the rider know he has fived, and so should exit as soon as possible.

There are many reasons why he might have been given the five, not just going backwards.  It could be he has missed the section markers.

Maybe each Observer should bring their own Whistle, for hygienic reasons.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scifi said:

Really the Whistle would be a good thing even in no-stop trials, as it lets the rider know he has fived, and so should exit as soon as possible.

There are many reasons why he might have been given the five, not just going backwards.  It could be he has missed the section markers.

Maybe each Observer should bring their own Whistle, for hygienic reasons.

.

Whistles can be helpful as long as the sections are far enough apart so that the riders can't accidentally hear a whistle from another section. Sign language can be helpful too -  holding your hand open to indicate a 5 so if the rider is in any doubt, they can look at you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, scifi said:

Really the Whistle would be a good thing even in no-stop trials, as it lets the rider know he has fived, and so should exit as soon as possible.

There are many reasons why he might have been given the five, not just going backwards.  It could be he has missed the section markers.

Maybe each Observer should bring their own Whistle, for hygienic reasons.

.

ok but in a 2 lap trial i wanted to do the bit i didnt so whistle or not id still be in section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct.  Rider is entitled to ride the whole section after fiving (whether I am riding or observing) in my book. Subject to not taking a ridiculous amount of time and holding up the trial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 5:47 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

Correct.  Rider is entitled to ride the whole section after fiving (whether I am riding or observing) in my book. Subject to not taking a ridiculous amount of time and holding up the trial.

If you fail the section leave the section by the quickest route. Simple.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×