Trials Transport

gii

Guest sherco dude

hi gordon i dont know for sure but by looking at the LR 110 i would say that you could get one in. if no one knows go to a LR garage and have a look or even take mesurments why not. ;)

Edited by sherco dude

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to speak to oceanvibe who psots on here. He has put his beta in the back of his 4x4 before, not sure what 4x4 it is though. If I remember rightly he struggled to get the back door shut. That was with the bike complete though, i.e. not stripped down in any way.

Whats wrong with vans?

dabster if you where at the rookhope trial gordon is talking about you would know nearly every van was getting stuck in the mud ;)

See what you mean but there must be more considerations than the odd trial where you get stuck. In all the years I've been trialing there was only 2 fields that were a problem. I wouldn't want to go too far in a 110, thats for sure.

Guest sherco dude
Whats wrong with vans?

dabster if you where at the rookhope trial gordon is talking about you would know nearly every van was getting stuck in the mud :lol:

See what you mean but there must be more considerations than the odd trial where you get stuck. In all the years I've been trialing there was only 2 fields that were a problem. I wouldn't want to go too far in a 110, thats for sure.

yeah but gordon runs that trial so he cant realy miss it ;)

I don't think you'll get the bars in a 110. I know that if you take the front wheel off you can get it in. I used to ride in some trials while I was in the Army. They gave me a Landrover 110, and a damned big 3/4 ton trailer, so I ditched the trailer.

At the time I had a Fantic 301 and had to whip the front wheel off to get it in.

Mind you, that was a hard top, I did manage to get it in to a canvas top 110 once and you hardly needed to strap it in, it just pushed the canvas up by about 8 inches.

There's probably so many different types of 110 you'll probably have to try - I don't know, only had the Army ones (You could always get a 110 Ambulance ;) )

The army 110's I had didn't have the sort of angled glass bits on the edge of the roof (poor description) - this must give more clearance.

How about this for somewhere to get changed:

post-2-1077995501.jpg

i drove a discovery for two years and it's the best vehicle i've had. it's like all cars/bikes if they cause problems then you tend to dislike them. Anyway i could get my gas gas pro in with the rear seats down but one half of the handlebar and a part of the front wheel had to stick out and door had to be tied. Gordon i was at Pauperhaugh trial and there was two lads from Consett with an ex water board defender long wheelbase. They even rode up a plank to load bikes they were sat inside having coffee and looked pretty warm and dry. Anyone seen Don Smiths book where he has a two bike rack going up his boot/roof on a Cortina? ;)

Renualt Espace is the way to go they come in 2WD or 4WD, Frend of mine fits a 750 sprint bike in the back of his and still leaves 2 back seats in situ. I have just bought one, alright its not pretty but only paid 400 squid for it. my yam ty250 fits in a treat without taking anything off it Im not sure if modern trials bikes are higher ( handle bars to floor ) but if someone whats to let me know the hight I would let you know if it will fit in it will also be usefull information for me as I am hoping to get myself a gasgas soon.

I have seen LR110's with "Camper" style back. It looks like it sits on the standard bed and overhangs the sides a bit. Having said that not seen one lately although I do know where a Range rover 6X6 Camper was hanging around! That should give you the room needed

Too Much the actual length of the cargo bed is 74.8 Inches, I suppose you could defalte the tyres that may give you the inch or two required. (Land Rover 110 Hardtop/pickup. Figures from Land Rover Web site). Forget the 130 Dual cab too as that is in the sixties. Remembered where I have seen the Camper top. The Army have them as field ambulances. Time to find your nearest Army Surplus vehicle auction and they'll have beds!

For those in the US ...

I have a full size Ford van and a full size Chevrolet van. Either holds three trials bikes inside (or three MX bikes, for that matter) plus five people. With a receiver hitch on the front and another on the back it can transport five bikes.

Also, a van is a really cheap compared to a pickup or an SUV - about $5,000 to $10,000 less.