Been Playing On A Raga

magicmat

Ive been playing on my brothers 04 Raga rep (Nice 1st modern trials bike :beer: )

And its so easy to do stoppies on it, i have an 05 280 and its not as easy on mine,

The front forks seem to dampen too much and the rear shocker seems to too (in my novice opinion), and i think the fluid needs changing in my front brake.

-- now is it easier on the raga because of the ohlins shocker on the rear ? and some change in the front ???

-- can i make mine more like it by:

- Bleeding the front brake to change the fluid

- Change the fork oil ( using less oil?? suggestions?) -- OR ADJUST THE REBOUND OR COMPRESSION ??

- reducing the adsorbtion on the rear,....

.... or it aint gunna happen and i should just buy a raga ... :wacko:

Ok ive gone on now.....

i just wanted to know really if i should put less oil in or try and play with the fork settings ?? as i think the guy who owned it before me could have been HEAVIER ! :guinness:

Matt

Not trying to sound rude, but doing a stoppie is all about technique, not suspension settings. My buest guess is that the Raga replica bike has better/less worn pads, thus making stoppies easier. Spend time learning the proper technique, it will pay off later.

by doing the stoppie im trying to swing the back end round so that i can do the harder sections,

no offense taken,

yes i know its about technique and im trying to do it on my bike anyway and i WILL NOT be buying a raga for this reason, but if my suspension is not set up for my weight then id like to adjust as it will make the bike perform better. and aid my challenge of learning the technique :wacko:

First thing i checked were my pads, took off the caliper and there is alot of meat left, at a guess 50% left at least

my technique is the same on both bikes, just wondered if adjusting suspension will help, or whether the raga has a noticeably better setup

:wacko: Ok Magicmat I hear what you are saying-------

Your technique doesn't change from bike to bike ?

Yet you can lift the back on the Raga easier than your std 05?

I think the Raga has a different disc (floating) set up to the std 05 you own.

I could be wrong (but that's rare :guinness: )so have a look?

Its most likely down to the rear shock, the Ohlins on the Raga is probably set up with less rebound damping. Stoppies are easier on my 06 compared to my 04. I dont think it has much to do with the front brake or forks.

Matt

the previous post is quite correct, the raga has a different front brake, some years have a different master cylinder and they all (so far as I have seen) have a floating disc. The disc helps as it means the caliper, which is fixed, lines up exactly with the disc even if the mounting brackets are out of line a touch.

Having said that people were doing stoppies on twinshocks with drum brakes so good technique will more than compensate for the different brake

can you let us know when you go over the bars ? we've all done it, its just a matter of time !!

On my gasgas 125 03 i got oil on the front pades so the brake were atrocious for a while but when I finally changed them the brake was fantastic! The first trial with new pads I was pulling a wheelie and someone cut me up so Idropped the front very rapidly yanked on the front brake very hard with two fingers and flew over the bars!lol :wacko: I don't even think the back wheel lifted but I did't have my arms tensed for that kind of force!lol Probably one of the funniest moments I have experienced!lol :guinness:

Sean

Practise down hill, use a rock to help the back lift and remember not to swing the back round with your legs but push with your arms. You can pull the forks through a bit a little will help.

Sorry if you are doing these,

Ralph.

Its two things a weight difference and the shock on the Raga is good, but your shock is probabley just to stiff your rebound needs to be fast enough to pick your bike up, if the shock is to slow all the technque in the world won't give you lift. Can you push down on the bike and the shock push it up real quick.

I know you said the Raga was easyer than your 04 but it is your technique and not the shock. You can do an endo on a old ridged with no shocker or a pushbike. Push the handle bars forward a bit as well it will help a little.

haha,

this is getting out of hand ! :guinness:

Mine doesnt come up as quickly as the raga does, and i think i will play with the settings, thanks for the advice and jokes (ANDY!)

And i can do a stoppie on my bike and i can get it high, i just have to work harder but dont worry im not work shy :wacko:

ps. cheers Ralph