Beta 4-stroke

kinell

Clubman, new bike, very tight,probably nervous, stalled first section, can't have much time on it, done it myself on the first section two and four-stroke, wouldn't try draw any conclusions from it just yet.

How many time did Steve stall his ?.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stalled mine a good few times out practising last week and three times today, which cost me 15 marks. The engines are very tight when new and tickover needs to be slightly higher than you would expect. I've always ridden 2 strokes so I reckon the fault lies with me not riding it right :wacko:

Today was my second time out on the bike and I'm still very pleased and impressed with it. I found that I rode better when I bossed it about instead of hoping to stay on line...

As you would expect, Steve Saunders didn't suffer from any stalls that I saw. I didn't see Steve Workman ride many sections.

The rider who was suffering just seemed to be in too tall a gear (not saying he was, just how it looked,) I wonder if the Rev4 is a 1st gear bike?

That ell do it, I ride 99% of sections in first on mine and it's geared down two on the back from stock gearing, the bikes will revout a lot higher than a two stroke so gives you a longer range in first.

I see a lot of riders pullling tall gears on bigger bore bikes and basicly just hanging on, the little 125 pizza bike did every section in the SSDT in first gear, including all the big steps like Trotter's, Whiches etc.

The B route rider had a few stalls. In fact.... Five in the first five sections that I saw alone!

I spoke to him also today, he had only been on the bike 1/2 an hour prior to the trial, as ishy said new bike, nerves etc.

He did say that his clutch was dragging a bit so this could have contributed to the stalls, not a critisism of the Beta as I am sure that can be sorted by a bit of adjustment.

He also at one point had difficulty in starting, nowt wrong with the bike as the Beta is a good starter from what I had seen, but a method I showed him was to put it in 3/4th gear and rock it backwards and forwards a few times, select neutral again and Bingo started first kick.

But the bikes looked good today and Saunders was at his usual best :wacko:

He also at one point had difficulty in starting, nowt wrong with the bike as the Beta is a good starter from what I had seen, but a method I showed him was to put it in 3/4th gear and rock it backwards and forwards a few times, select neutral again and Bingo started first kick.

They don't like to be started in gear when new/tight. Mine starts first kick hot or cold, as long as it's in neutral :wacko:

rode one round the yard last thurs very very very nice. had seen it the week before but couldnt be bothered to wait to have a go. anyway very stable feels light and nimble can ride it like a 2 stroke. wasnt a fair test because it was in a yard but as nice as a 2 stroke which i own if not nicer. if i was made of money i would have ordered one there and then.

• 2 weeks later...

So Kinell, have you had enough rides on the new Rev4 to really give us your impressions, likes and dislikes ? I know initially everything you had to say was really good, and not saying it still isn't, just curious how you are feeling about it so far??

Cheers, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Last Sunday I went practising at a venue with a good long beck and plenty of banks and hills to play about on. The water was fast and deep (almost too deep) and the bank/hills were slippy and slimy due to not getting much sun after the morning frost.

The bike performed as expected in the beck sections, it felt weird but nice to ride it without having to use the clutch, as it simply plodded along on tickover. I rode some sections in 2nd gear and it coped really well at the slower speed - just a pity my brain needed to work a bit faster. It felt very stable too, big confidence booster for me especially when approaching waterfalls/steps etc.

The biggest thing I noticed was how much the bike gripped on snotty hills, I thought I was on form for a change but sadly it was the bike making me look half good. Two other local lads were there and they both had a go on the bike. One was riding a new Sherco 290 and the other was on a Mont 4rt.

The chosen section was a shortish blip through the beck, up a 3ft step and onto a wet/muddy/icy flat bit before the long, steep grassed hill. There was no grip on the flat bit and not a lot on the slimy grass either.

Young Ross got up it maybe 3 times out of 10 on his trusty Mont. I don't think he tried this section on the Beta but he was impressed with the way it gripped on other hills he'd tried out earlier.

Nathan got his Sherco halfway up the first 10 times and almost made it 3/4's of the way up the other 50 times (He doesn't give up easily) He rode the Mont and Beta up some beck sections and said anyone who rides one at the SSDT are simply cheating...

He rode the Beta up the hill section and made it up 4 times out of 5 - very impressed

Both of them are good expert course riders in the Yorkshire centre.

Would they buy one? I doubt they would change from their preferred bike but they were definitely surprised with the power delivery and how light the bike felt, even comparing it to 2 strokes.

Anyone else had a good go on one yet?

Right whos got a four stroke beta i wont 1 of them front black mudguards for my 06 rev3 but lampkins are only selling them to four stroke owners! Come on some nice four stroke owner must be able to help!

Edited by betarick

UPDATE

Last Sunday I went bla bla bla

Both of them are good expert course riders in the Yorkshire centre.

Would they buy one? I doubt they would change from their preferred bike but they were definitely surprised with the power delivery and how light the bike felt, even comparing it to 2 strokes.

Anyone else had a good go on one yet?

All very interesting stuff 30 pages of hype wind and sycophantic opionions, no direspect Brian to you meant.

But unless I am mistaken, if I wanted, big if, when could I buy one?

Whilst it may be a much more cautious approach than the Sherco 320 launch, yes we all know that was wrong, surely this is too far the other way insomuch thats it for 2007 the next ones will be 2008 models????????????????????????

Yes, I think everyone either wants. or knows someone who wants a Rev4.... if they could get one.

Surely a few more couldn't have hurt, and would have given Beta a bit more customer feedback to use on the '08 model if any mods were needed.