A Couple Of Trials Bike Design Ideas

sectionone

The first idea is old since my dad did this on his 1978 TY 175 over 12 years ago.

The floating rear fender. The rear fender is like the front fender with low clearance from the tire. This enables more body english without the fender getting in the way. My dad had the fender hinged on the frame and swingarm. The rear muffler might have to hinge also.

The second idea is another set of footpegs on the swingarm. This would work well with the floating rear fender. Let's say your going uphill and need more traction. You move your feet to the rear pegs so all of your weight is on the rear tire.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first idea is old since my dad did this on his 1978 TY 175 over 12 years ago.

The floating rear fender. The rear fender is like the front fender with low clearance from the tire. This enables more body english without the fender getting in the way. My dad had the fender hinged on the frame and swingarm. The rear muffler might have to hinge also.

The second idea is another set of footpegs on the swingarm. This would work well with the floating rear fender. Let's say your going uphill and need more traction. You move your feet to the rear pegs so all of your weight is on the rear tire.

Fender idea might be a good one but the footrest idea sounds like some big wheelies are on their way! :guinness:

I've myself have been wondering lately about those spindly rear fenders hanging out there in the wind, not doing much except flop around when ever the terrain get really rough, and then get broken off if you even look at the mcross-eyed, especially when it's cold. How many rear fenders do you see at the meets that look like Frankenstein re-created them? I know the manufacturers probably like them cause they get $80-$100 or more a pop for them when they get broke, which happens a lot, but maybe it's time to look at a rear wheel hugging fender design that would move with the rear suspension and actually keep some mud off the machine and rider and not get broken so easily.

And all this hype about four stroke motors. Heavy and unneeded complexity, plus a 4 stroke doesn't put out near the power that a same size 2 stroke can.

If the real push is lower emissions, how about a fuel injected two stroke? Less complex than the 4 stroke and fuel injecting would help the machine run better across the entire rpm spectrum at any altitude at any attitude.

Inject the fuel just as the piston passes the exhaust port on the compression stroke and not during the exhaust stroke. That's the problem with today's two strokes, they waste about half of their fuel by pushing raw gas out of the cylinder along with the exhaust on the exhaust stroke. I think they've got boat motors doing this now. It's time to put that technology to work on a trials bike.

Fuel injecting a two stroke is not new. Yamaha had a street version of a TZ750 four cylinder two stroke that was displayed at a tokoyo show in around 1973. It had bosses cast into the manifolds for fuel injection. Also two stroke personal watercraft have been fuel injected for some time now. An oil injection line is run into the intake manifold just like a carbureted engine. OMC made a direct injection system polaris used on the watercraft they used to make. It injected the mixture directly into the combustion chamber. Bombardier owns the system now.

Maybe we will get a two stroke injected soon. I can't wait!

Sorry, just realized how that sounded. I meant that the scooters have less tuning parts! I bet a fuel injected trials bike would be great! I wouldn't need any tuning parts on that I fall off enough without thanks!

hey sean

i had a yamaha dt50 when i was 16 tuned it up to the eye ball's got 75 out of it on a straight.fitted an illegal fresco exhaust on,and then a cop car knocked me off and put a great big dent in the fresco,i was not happy.