Twinshock Trials / Disc Brakes And Other Mods

scrumpyjack

Hey Pitley, as you know I will help you with your trial, observing or what ever. Am I missing something here. As you know living in this neck of the woods you may see one or two Cotswolds. Where do they fit in, as post 85 but a manufactured bike and not a "special". Just a thought. Cheers. :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Pitley, as you know I will help you with your trial, observing or what ever. Am I missing something here. As you know living in this neck of the woods you may see one or two Cotswolds. Where do they fit in, as post 85 but a manufactured bike and not a "special". Just a thought. Cheers. :D

Plus RTX's and even Jailings?

Good call Bo & Scorpa 3.

I think if we put in a post 85 Twinshock class for blissers cotswolds and other creations.

Then if folk turn up discs on a twinshock or a air cooled mono converted to twinshock, they ride for no award.

Hows that?

Scorpa 3, my apologies as this event has clashed with your OK Supreme Trail bike event, but it was the only date our event would not clash with a sammy round or ACU Classic round.

Scotty.

I use a drum braked mono fork set up in my Majesty, because the original forks did not perform as i wanted so i kept it Yamaha from 1980s as the monos came out about 84 85 i belive but dont quote me on it. So i see it as a mod that could have been done at the time.

I belive the neihbouring Abergaveny Club is running a trial on the saturday afternoon before us so it could be two days of playing if you wanted.

Lets just ride our bikes WHILE we still can

Hope to see all you Twinshockers in september :D

Cheers, Andy Pitt, Clerk of the Course

Edited by pitley

just some thoughts on the dates, especially the pre-72 and pre-77 limits, if you think of the bikes around at the time in the non-British camp

pre-72,

Bultaco's, Montesa's (??)

pre-77,

Kawazaki KT250, Honda TL125's, Bulto's, Montesa's, Suzuki's, Yamaha TY175

pre-85

all Fantics, Beta, SWMs, Honda TLR250's, Armstrongs, TY250, Majesty's and other exotica

you could make it pre-75, pre-80, pre-85 for a better balance, but this is something we can debate next time down at the pub. I was thinking of the "career" of TL125's, really 73-78 and Beamish's, pre-80 as a marker. All Fantics, SWMs, 200/250 Honda's are 80-85.

There is a plan to have an Abergavenny twinshock trial on the Saturday, potentially with the following classes; pre-80 SWM, pre-83 SWM, post-83 SWM, everything else :-)

Hey Malc.

Trouble with the dates is you can keep on moving the year this was done and that was done etc

Lets just try create a good annual event for Twinshocks.

2 more confirmed groups yesterday at st margrets & rowlestone.

It all gets better as we go, so lets keep the classes simple and let the event speak for its self :D

Cheers Andy

Intresting thread this one.

On 23rd September 2007 i wll be running a road based twinshock trial, useing old wye valley traders sections so i have been concerned about classes.

So the classes for our trial.

Pre72 Twinshock.

Pre77 Twinshock

Pre 85 Twinshock

Twinshock Specials(eg any twinshock fitted with discs. Twinshocked Air Cooled monos) Ride for no award.

British Unit Twinshock (cubs, c15, b40 etc)

British Pre Unit Twinshocks.

There will be two routes, Expert and clubman.

Straight forward sections

Obsreved under TSR 22B no stop proper Trials rules!

Regs will be availible shortly

Shame my bikes arent road registered. That sounds a great set of classes even the "British Unit Twinshock" eliminates a lot of the "issues" with Pre65.

Good on ya sounds the way to go to me :D

Pitley,

agreed the dates for the bikes are fine; it matters little except that the event should be good; still researching the possibilty of a group of sections in the Olchon Valley, but Defra issues AFAIK

Any info on the old sections in the labe from the bottom on the King Street in Ewyas Harold up towards Rowlestone ?

Malc

Malc

The sections you ask about are in Hill lane.

Hill Lane is a U C R (unclassified county road) so you could ride it today if you got a road legal machine.

Last used as a group in 94 on the last national.

Had a look at it two sundays ago when we had that heavy rain,it would have been only rideable down hill in a Canoe!

I may use the lane to link up the Dulas and Rowlestone groups.

Just have to wait and see closer to the trial :D

Agreed Mr Greeves. Much as i love Spanish trials bikes of the 70's they are a world apart from the Yamaha Majestys, Honda Tlr, Fantic , SWM etc. I keep trying to get one of my clubs to have a class for Spanish twinshocks for just that reason.

Still at the end of the day it's about the fun factor and my 199B still gives me the biggest smile :D

I still smile at the 'this bike isn't as competitive as that bike' theories and arguments.

There is an element of truth in it certainly, for example, a world championship or British championship event, where you have the best riders in the world/country, you are going to need the most or at least an equally competitive bike to be successful

Drop down a level to current day classic events and you have a massive spread of rider ability throughout the entry. Now in my opinion, Fantics are the best performing of the twinshock bikes, just buy one and ride it without the need for mods, whether it is a 200/240/300 - even the 200 is as good as anything, better than most.

In this weekend's ACU Classic rounds, there were very capable riders on Fantics taking part. Yet, Saturday's event was won outright by Nick Shield and on Sunday he again topped the Classics and finished second overall to a 4RT - and what bike was this achieved on? - Fantic, Honda, Majesty, SWM?? No, on his 340 Bultaco, a Spanish bike that is supposed to be a dinosaur compared to the later stuff. How can this be?

Simply because, as I've said before, doesn't matter how good you think your bike is, or has to be, you still have to ride it.

And just for the record, it is not a trick bike and I know as I had a ride on it. It is lightly modified, that's all and performs well, but nothing trick or cheat about it. In fact it was nice to see not one twinshock with discs at either event, all had drums and there was nothing that was modified in a fashion that would have put it 'outside the spirit' of these events. And even if there was and I missed it, it still didn't win did it.

Just a quick mention on the three classes mentioned for twinshocks. On a personal note I'm not bothered about having them (generally I mean, not the trial in question) but I'm certainly not against them or think it is a bad idea. But, how can you police it? Who has the knowledge to ensure the right bike is in the right class. Whichever year you use as a breakpoint, some models are going to overlap. For example, Beamish Suzuki came out in 75/76 and continued through to 81 so who would have the knowledge to put a Beamish in the correct category whether you have pre77 or pre80. Majesties appeared 78/79 and ran to 83 so which belongs in pre80 or post80. 348 Montesa came out in 76 so can be pre/post 77. Ossas will be difficult to date and Bults are a nightmare with many repainted in older or newer colour schemes. It's just that I can see all sorts of arguments from people complaining that 'that bike is in the wrong class' when they've been beaten by it. Even though they are all 'riding for fun' of course - until the results come out, or someone is noticed to be performing well on the day and someone else decides they are in the wrong class. It will happen as you only have to look at other topics/posts on the forum to see it.

PS - this post isn't a swipe at anyone in particular. Just read it again and realised it may look that way, but no intention of that kind meant.

Edited by Woody