How Many Scorpa Riders Have Damaged There Fuel Tank?

bigdamo

Just wondering.Thinking of getting a Scorpa and someone told me watch out if you fall over and damage the tank your up for a new one which are expensive.Beta and Sherco tanks are better protected.(A Sherco rider told me this)I think it is bs?

i had a 03 scorpa for 2 years and regulary dropped it (crap rider) :icon_salut: never had a problem with tank and never heard of anyone else having problems either, smells like bull 5h1te to me very good and reliable bike.

Yes of course they are more vulnerable. Unlike Sherco's etc the fuel tank is not protected within a steel/alloy frame, so they have to be more likely to be damaged.

That said, I am on my fifth year of owning Scorpa's and have never had a problem with damage to my tanks. The bonus is that you can easily remove and drain the tank if contaminated particles get in there.

The concept of protecting the tank by putting it within the confines of a perimeter frame might be an advantage depending on whether you put a higher value on the frame or the fuel tank. I personally think it is easier to fix or replace the tank than to fix or replace the frame in the event of that part of the bike being hit hard enough to damage it.

The concept of protecting the tank by putting it within the confines of a perimeter frame might be an advantage depending on whether you put a higher value on the frame or the fuel tank. I personally think it is easier to fix or replace the tank than to fix or replace the frame in the event of that part of the bike being hit hard enough to damage it.

I tend to agree on this one.

I would rather replace/repair the petrol tank rather than fix or replace frame.

A friend of mine has bought an 04 SY250 and he loves it, He had a big off and dented the exhaust, no damage done to the tank, he still loves it. I've ridden it and I like it a lot, a scorpa will definately be on my list of considerations when I look to replace my 04 beta. I think the only down side with the scorpa is the capacity of the fuel tank, but it's still a great bike.

A friend of mine has bought an 04 SY250 and he loves it, He had a big off and dented the exhaust, no damage done to the tank, he still loves it. I've ridden it and I like it a lot, a scorpa will definately be on my list of considerations when I look to replace my 04 beta. I think the only down side with the scorpa is the capacity of the fuel tank, but it's still a great bike.

I think you would go just as far on a tank full of fuel in a Scorpa than any other modern 2t trials bike.

I think you would go just as far on a tank full of fuel in a Scorpa than any other modern 2t trials bike.

I think beta's need the extra capacity to compensate for all the fuel that spills out from the carb!!!! :icon_salut::thumbup:

I've seen a tank split on a Scorpa, but it was dropped directly onto the edge of a rock. I think the tank issue is probably offset by the way the silencer tucks out of the way and is therefore less likely to take a whacking in the event of a "dismount!" (I'm on my 2nd Rev 3 and wish the silencer was out of the way, as per Scorpas and Shercos.)

Edited by GWREV3

I've got an 06 sy250, the tank took a lot of abuse with only scratches on it, this included banging it off rocks. However i once left it leaning against a tree, it fell lightly against said tree putting a 4 inch crack across the tank. I've since found two other people who have had this happen to them. I ordered a new tank,

I have a gasgas and that slipped off my wall at home and the tank took the hit! Massive great dent in it and sliced straight through the decal! Frame didn't get touched what so ever! Lucky I suppose could have been both! lol

I guess the tank is always at risk on any bike!

I have two friends who both had tanks smash. The first nose dived into a ditch, the bike flipped over and landed upside down on the top of the tank. It shattered around the cap. The other was a fall that caused the kickstart to hit the tank and split it. I've tried to reduce the risk of this by grinding down the kickstart , at the end, where it would be likely to touch the tank. A point loaded impact like that may crack or shatter the tank. The plastic does seem to be quite brittle. Great bike though and one of very few faults.

The tanks are made of a type of nylon, and we (Scorpa Australia) have only seen a couple with cracks, both from massive falls. Both tanks were repaired by plastic welding. You just need to find the correct rods. A lick of paint and both are still in service well after the incidents.

Easier than a bent frame any day.

arnoux