Glucosamine?

sam

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin (when I remember) for my knee. To be honest I can't tell if it's having any effect as my knee's are pretty goosed and I certainly haven't turned into Lee Majors :thumbup: , but after doing some research I decided it can't do any harm other than to my bank balance.

There's a liquid variety out now that's supposedly more easily absorbed by the body which I'll be trying when my tablets have run out.

Sorry, I know it's vague news but I've had no mircale recovery as I said.

i have taken Glcoamine quite a lot during the last 4 or 5 years as I was doing a lot of on road running (training and running marathons) and it didn't seem to do any harm at all. Always difficult to tell as i haven't done the same amount of exercise without it, but my view is that it works.

Have got the whole running thing out of my system now so don't take it any more as currently not really in training mode.

Has anyone used Glucosamine with success? Joint maintanence.

I used to sell glucosamine, and there is no proof that the product works. You canonly make weak claims on the pack such as may help with joint mobility. In my experience you want to try and get hold of some new zealand green lipped muscle extract, we used to sell that as well but don't any more.

Just worked out I need to drink 2.7 litres of water a day then :thumbup: and Ralph you better get a jerry can for yours mate. I ve heard this clean water thing before? and also heard it doesnt actually matter what form the water is in, ie coffee,tea, squash etc as long as you have enough of it. Why is it so important that its so clean?

Billy, what would you recommend you should eat and drink during a 6-7 hour single lap trial? I usually have a couple of bottles or water or lucozade, mars bars and my trusty Old Holborn travel pack for walking sections. Me and ralph usually have enough to eat and drink before the trial (cakes and red bull) What is best? considering there may be a fair bit of bike pushing as well and quantities? Ralph said someone gave him a glucose tablet just before the river kwai whilst he was laying in a ditch sleeping and knackered, are they any good? he said it did perk him up enough to finish the trial :thumbup:

i have artheritus in my hip i have a job to keep going all day at work so i bought glucosamine tablets tried them for a year i found no differance.my doctor told me to have ibuprofen 400 mg a day it works very well.if i forget to take i really suffer.but you must see your doctor before taking anything.

Thanks for that Billy, I will try alot more water next trial before and during and lay off the RedBull and lucozade and think about the carbs food. Two handfulls of spinach? no wonder you wanted to get finished quick mate......... just out of curiosity? why half a carrott? was you full?

Glucosamine supplementation (and any other supplementation, vit C etc) absorbtion by the body is roughly around 8% so its pretty much a huge waste of your cash. Their are big success stories but alot is attributed to the "placebo" effect.

Far more benefits can be obtained via drinking enough clean quality water for your bodyweight. Clean means it needs to be of bottled variety unless you live by a natural spring. Quality means the Dry Residue or Total Daily Solids indicated on the side of the bottle needs to be at least 300 mg/L at 180 degrees C.

To work out how many litres your body requires take your bodyweight in KG x 0.033.

Once you've done this you should look into being tested by a Metabolic Typing Advisor to determine your optimum ratio of Carbs/Protein & Fat.

Excess carbohydrate in an otherwise good diet will cause Calcium amongst other minerals to be leached from the body.

http://www.mercola.com/article/water.htm will give you a little more info!!

Good luck

Would Britta filtered tap water be equivalent to bottled water?

Billycraig,

Cheers for the info you must bill Andy for your fee?? You are in for all sorts of question now you know we will not give you any peace.

I suffer from cramping the next day is that lack of water.

Justin would need 6 Redbulls to type that post you done and i would have needed 6 Hours.

Very intresting subject one we all would love to follow but i think age makes you look at what you eat and how you punish your body but the damage is normaly done by then i think?

You got me hooked i am waiting for more info.

What do you eat the days leading up to a big event and what would i need to eat daily changed my energy levals they seem to be rock bottom all the time. I am a window cleaner so i lift my body weight a lot of times a day.

Billycraig,

Cheers for the info you must bill Andy for your fee?? You are in for all sorts of question now you know we will not give you any peace.

I suffer from cramping the next day is that lack of water.

Justin would need 6 Redbulls to type that post you done and i would have needed 6 Hours.

Very intresting subject one we all would love to follow but i think age makes you look at what you eat and how you punish your body but the damage is normaly done by then i think?

I'd recommend Endura electrolyte Visit My Website for your cramps