Glucosamine?

sam

Cheers bigdamo i will. I am realy intrested in this topic as i think the less chems we eat the better.

Any suggestions on what type of filter to use when filtering your water.

Edited by Ralph

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you again Billy,

Great idea about the fitness Forums but you and bigdamo will be asked all the time?

Its that thing with me how to get fit and work hard on a lettuce leaves all day. (and flap jack or two with choc on)

Other points worth noting that i'm sure may intrest people are my hair growing back and the grey patch i had has now returned to my normal colour.

Wahey, you've just got me and 'monkey's a*** Perce' interested :thumbup:

I've got to be honest, this thread is the most interesting one I've read on TC this year. It makes a nice change from 'which bike is best', 'will Dougie win/lose', 'what colur should my plug be' etc. etc.

Lots of us are knocking on and feeling the effects of age, bad diet, booze and fags and some of us :thumbup: are looking at the end result of decades of abuse and thinking "Oops!" :thumbup:

Any pointers/tips/advice would definitely be appreciated and I think a 'Healthy' forum is definitely worth trialling out :thumbup: What you reckon Mr. Andy?

I've got to agree with Kinell on this one, that this has been the most interesting topic I have read for a while. Billy, you're posts are interesting and also well written which is a refreshing change, please keep it up!

I'm sure that this is an area of great interest to a lot of people, no matter which stage of their riding career they may be at, nor at what level they ride. I realise that this subject is a career for Billy, and thus advice should be paid for - but a few pointers for us trials buddies would be great. Also, the more people who read Billy's posts then become aware of him and his (professional) area of expertise, so its a form of advertising anyway?

I am also particularly interested in the hair colour / density recovery. The three hairs that I have left on my head have now gone grey - "do you think it is too late Doc?" Just how much water will I have to drink to get my flowing locks back....?

This is great reading, thanks Billy. Did a bunch of nutritional stuff on the last IIHF coaching seminar I did, interesting stuff and I can back up what Billy said, water's best. We were offered a deal on this Powerade stuff all sorts of wierd colours and tastes but it really doesn't do what it says, I don't think many of them do. Always say that for every half litre of those the guys drink they drink at least two litres of water. Personally I always found half strength Isostar suited mecoupled with loads of water.

During games we can sweat off up to 8 pounds of body weight, that has to be replaced. Yes you need to keep electrolyte levels up but without copious amounts of water you start flagging and becoming dehydrated within the first 10 minutes of a game.

lets have a new forum Andy

Billycraig

This is a very interesting read and taking on more water during the day is something that I have been trying to do over the past couple of months. I have also been trying something else that I read about, and that is eating uncooked food (ie:- salad stuff , coleslaw, fruit and raw carrots) .

From what you have been saying though, is that I may be eating to many raw foods and not enough meat. So is the ideal diet a lot of the "Atkins" diet, with a small amount of raw fuit and veg thrown in mixed with copious amounts of clean water.?

Would this diet be good even when not doing to much excercise during the week and only riding on a sunday. ????

I`m sorry there are a few questions, but I have been reading a lot of books about different diets lately, and everyone of them seems to contradict what the other says...less meat, more veg , more meat less veg ...carbs versus protein .

I did try the "Atkins" last year, and lost a stone in a month, but had no energy and seemed to have lost muscle mass aswell as fat, this was while I was doing quite a bit of excercise all the way through.

hope you can help

Go to your local 'No Smoking Clinic' and ask them if they are prescribing 'Champix Varenicline' yet. It's a new drug that's been out in America for about a year now, first prescribed in the UK late December 2006. It's still being trialled with all side effects, results, successes and failures being closely monitored by our medical bods. Not all health authorities are stocking it so you might have to wait until the Doctors all agree that it's safe etc.

My Doctor gave me the go ahead but he told the wife that she would have to use the fag patches again. I'm 2 months in to a 3 month course and it's been so easy to give up. Practically no cravings at all, even when sat next to someone smoking :blink:

PS

Don't blame me if the drugs mek you dead :)

***EDIT***

What happened to BetaRev3's post about giving up smoking?

Edited by Kinell

Dont know what happened then Kinell? elecy went off whilst i was editing the spelling and it dissapeared, saved some of it but just rewrote abit. Thanks on the smoking info :blink: mate of a mate was on something new a while back? may have been the stuff you said, sent him mad nearly and wasnt allowed to drive either? but i will ask :) Incentive helps alot when giving up, last time it was being able to ride quicker on the track. Every time I feel i want a smoke i will get the bike out, even take it to work I think, should be on it 16 hours a day over the next few weeks

Great info Billy, really interesting and this is the sort of info that hopefully spur me to kick the cigarettes once and for all and get fitter. As someone here said earlier you are giving free advice which does cost in normal life, thanks for that.

I think most of us would like to be fitter and eat better, but its a minefield out there, eat this, dont eat this, quantities etc etc. I am lucky that I don

Edited by Betarev3

Billycraig

I`m after a bit more help. I`ve tried different diets with only one being semi successful, the rest being unsuccessful. I need to shift 1 and 1/2 stone to get to my "ideal" weight but....

I cant get my head around whats best to eat, some people say fresh fruit and veg, others say eat more meat but vary the types. :blink::)

Is it more protein less carbs ?

Or just eat more fresh fruit and veg?

just avoid high glycemic foods ?

because I`m unsure of whats the best diet for me, who do I go and see, is it a nutritionist(sp) ??? to get tested ?

I went through the motions of taking Glucosamine and cod liver capsules last year with an elbow problem, it cleared up about 90%, still get a pain now and then brought on by my job (bricklayer) but recently especially Monday after a trial I now have a very sore hip joint so I may try them again. I struggle to move around for a few minutes and it is sore for a while, but as the day goes on it disappears only to return next morning.. What with Sciatica in my left leg I think I am falling apart at 43. :blink: