What's The Best Twin Shock?

charliechitlins

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My '75 KT250...... only seen 1 other ridden in the classic series, and slowly getting it to ride nice! Beat a rake of modern bikes at the hooper this weekend..... my ultimate goal is to beat Nigel Dabster on his Sherco!!!

Got quite close last time......

I don't think so....... your bulyam braked frankenstein piece of pig iron will have rotted away by the time you take the challenge and ride it... I'll have a bet with you..... I'll beat you at the next round, then you ride the frankentaco, I can beat you on that!!! ....... and then I promise not to park in front of your sherco..... although it's difficult to pick your's out amongst all the other's.... cant you paint it pink or something!

Parts availability is a big concern, so is fun and reliability. I would stick to either a TY175 Yamaha, Bultaco or Montesa. All three have a great distribution of parts. The best out there. I have competed on both Montesa's and Yamaha's. I own and have competed on my TY175, Montesa 172 and 348. They all have good points. The Monty's have good solid motors, very usable power and handle well. Not the best brakes and OK suspension. I prefer my TY175, it has a weak motor (stock) but can be hoped up enough to make it competetive in any vintage event. The handling is superb, suspension good and very reliable. Mine has been punished for years and never gives up!

Yamaha wins the Jap bike contest, no question, the rest are not in the same league unless heavily modified. Either Bul or Montesa are the best choices among the European's.

Get a TY175 and just ride! You can forget about wrenching, they are as solid as a rock. You will be glad you did.

post-13-1083606187.jpg

Probably the TLR is the pick of the Japanese twinshocks, simply the best twinshock suspension bar none, and ultimate grip-finding power.

250's are best but you have to be on the ball!, 200's very capable and smoother.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people rate the Jumbo so highly, I have one and find it a bag of nails. Does'nt rev handling not that clever and heavy to boot. It has done very very little work so is not just a question of tuning. What am I missing????

your bulyam braked frankenstein piece of pig iron will have rotted away by the time you take the challenge and ride it...

The last time I saw the No.1 bike it looked like it had been ' ridden hard and put away wet' quite a sad case.

Dabster will have to spend many hours in the shed to get that one running sweetly, so you're probably safe for a couple of years.

Always like the Beamish Suzuki, in fact I owned one in my late schoolboy /early adult days that was formerly owned by Milly himself :D

Got a little 'in my shed' twinshock project on the go - plan to have it ready for Xmas........................'04

My '75 KT250...... only seen 1 other ridden in the classic series, and slowly getting it to ride nice! Beat a rake of modern bikes at the hooper this weekend..... my ultimate goal is to beat Nigel Dabster on his Sherco!!!

Got quite close last time......

I have it on very good authority ( ex works KT rider) that it was a right pig and overweight.

Why do people rate the Jumbo so highly, I have one and find it a bag of nails. Does'nt rev handling not that clever and heavy to boot. It has done very very little work so is not just a question of tuning. What am I missing????

Tuning, it is a great bike but needs to be fettled just right.

I'll tell you what's not the best. My Montesa 330 at the moment!! Just about everything that could be messed with has been, the deeper I look the worse I find :D

It's not looking promising for the TC Trial.