What's The Best Twin Shock?

charliechitlins

This has probably been discussed before, ad nauseum, but....I think I'll be selling a bike or two and reconfiguring the herd, and I might have a few bucks left over. There's what looks like a pretty cool vintage club around here, and I just might throw my hat (helmet?) in the ring.

I'm not interested in thumpers...not to ride, anyway...what I'd really be looking for is the twin-shock with the most modern manners.

I've owned a TY175, but, as a lad, always coveted the Bultacos and Montesas...so I have unresolved Spainish bike issues.

I live in the US, so some of the British specials (Majesty, etc) are not available here.

Anyway...I'd like some feedback on what you all think.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie: Perhaps the right question would be, "What's the best AHRMA legal twin shock bike? Once the rule book is read and understood, the next step is to ask yourself what sort of vintage bike really fits your physical size, riding style and captures you childhood dream and helps you to be enthusiastic about working on it. (which you will do alot) Also what is the parts availabilty for the bike you want to ride? Alot of good it does to like GRM's or something if `you can't get it running. Beyond that alot of the fun of trialing is the chance to daydream about what sort of bike you're gonna build. (or buy) Since you're pretty handy, perhaps you might want to do a custom job? Sounds like you want a light weight responsive, "modern feeling" trials bike. The old spanish iron is fantastic but they never were really very light. Also the poor brakes and slow steering make them less than ideal for trick riding. Having survived a few nationals in the seventies I suggest that in answer to your question, the bike you seek is the Beamish Suzuki. I had a chance to ride Chris Suttons WR bike at the '77 world round at Michigan, and the Beamish Suzuki was far and away the best trials bike I ever rode in the '70's and possibly in the '80's as well. Absolutely superior in weight and handling with perfect power and incredibly light weight. Much like the modern bikes of today. They even had great brakes! It's very hard to find information on these bikes. Perhaps our British friends will let us know some more about these fantastic bikes. Since these bikes are rare as hens teeth, the next best thing to do is to build a replica. That's what I'd do if I wasn't building another even cooler Hodaka. I have been working on it in all my spare time for about five weekends running. I hope to get it done in time for Hodaka days, June 25 26 and 27 in Athena Or. Rumour has it there will be an Ex Hodaka engineer form Japan and also Jody Weisel of Motocross action is reportedly planning to attend. Jim Pomeroy will be putting on a scrambles race for Hodakas only as well as a Hodaka trials and assorted other fun activities. Sorry to run off about it but I'm just so excited about vintage trials that I can't help myself. Jay

Charlie,

Seeing as you're in PA, I'm assuming that you are talking about MAVT for vintage trials. The great thing about MAVT is that your bike doesn't have to fit into the AHRMA mold. So all the twinshock, aircooled, drum braked bikes of the 80's are still legal in MAVT.

As for the best, well, if you ask 5 vintage guys what's the best, you'll probably get 5 different answers. I've personally got an 82 SWM 240 TL and a 76 TY 175. Both bikes are great, but the SWM has a much nicer motor.

Some people love the Fantics, some love the SWMs. If you want AHRMA legal, the TY 175 is a great bike, much lighter than the 250's. My 175 weighs about 190 ready to go, and it pulls my 200+ lb butt around the sections just fine.

Basically, I'd say get what you think you want. They're all fine bikes for vintage trials. If you want to try some out, come out to White Rose on May 1 and I'm sure there will be plenty of bikes for sale, and you can probably get a demo or two.

For info on MAVT, go to www.mavt.org.

Hope this helps

Rob

In my opinion the best twinshock is a Fantic 240.

At the time Fantic were winning everything. The 240 was actually 212cc and was middle of the range. They did a 200, 240 & 300. The 240 was the best motor, smooth off the bottom, plenty of torque and willing to rev. Here's a piccie.

post-13-1083003066.jpg

You mentioned having some unresolved Spanish issues. With a vintage bike, I think it is VERY important to get something you are passionate about. My passion goes back to "On Any Sunday" and the Cota 247. There are many vintage bikes out there that even I idendify as "better", but they just don't give me the same warm and fuzzy that I get when I walk by my 247 sitting in the garage. B)

PA251075.jpg

Get something that really turns your crank, restore it, and ride it.

As the owner of a dozen twin shock and pre 65 trials I go with Steve with the 240 Fantic being the closest to modern in response.

A large number of multi test articles (written in French) from this era can be found on the Fantic Motor Passion website. The conclusions are understandable. I have also found info on an Australian site.

DG Shannon with his 247 Cota said exactly what I also think about twinshock trials bikes.

Where I live, it is legal to compete in Twinshock class on SWMs, Fantic 240s and OSSA TR80s and they are certainly easier to win a trial on but there is no way I'm even slightly interested because I have no connection with trials bikes made after 1978. They look way too modern for my taste.

Due to impressions cast deeply on my psyche back in the 1970s, I get wobbly knees when walking past my 1975 TY250B, 1976 Cota 348, 1976 KT250 and 1974 250 MAR OSSA.

If I wanted a bike that felt modern to ride, I would ride my modern bike.

Thankyou DGShannon. Great to hear your message and your Cota 247 is certainly a lovely bike.

Vive la difference

David Lahey

Queensland, Australia